Bonds to appeal $5K fine for uni violation

brinkeguthrie

PHOENIX (AP) -- Major League Baseball gave Barry Bonds a slap on the wristbands Wednesday.

Bonds was fined $5,000 for wearing wristbands that violated baseball's apparel rules because of their size and logo design.

Bob Watson, baseball's vice president for on-field operations, confirmed that a letter was sent to Bonds on Tuesday. Bonds has appealed the ruling, Watson said.

"It probably will go to an arbitrator," Watson said.

Watson also said Bonds had previously run afoul of baseball's uniform guidelines before.

"He's appealed it before," Watson said. "He's been fined before."

Bonds' appeal then was heard by Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer. It's unclear whether appeal now will be heard by John McHale, a baseball executive vice president, or whether there will be a grievance filed by the players' association that is heard by an arbitrator.

"The union believes the matter is subject to the grievance procedure and will be heard by the neutral arbitrator," said Michael Weiner, the union's general counsel.

Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president of labor relations, had a different view.

"It's on-field misconduct, and it is handled like any other on-field misconduct, and that is an appeal to Mr. McHale," he said.

Bonds was not in the starting lineup Wednesday night, but it was because of his knees and elbow, not his uniform. Manager Felipe Alou said he wanted to rest his slumping slugger, who had played six straight days.

MLB.com first reported the fine. In an interview before the game, Bonds said the logo on his wristbands complied with earlier specifications issued by MLB.

"My wristbands have already been changed and they're the exact wristbands I wore in 2004 and 2005," Bonds told MLB.com. "They're exactly the same. They can't come after me now if they didn't come after me in 2004. The wristband hasn't changed since 2004, so this can't be right."

Archived