Rough DC United Concept

notkirkcameron

I like the idea behind this, if not necessarily the execution. And no, I don't mean to denigrate the fact that it's done in Paint. I don't deduct points for that sort of thing. I mean that I'm not convinced that the placement and sizes of the DC flag elements are anywhere near what is needed to be for this to work as anything more than a novelty stadium banner. It looks more slapped on than thought through.

I would love to see this with thicker stripes. And the gold star in the eagle creates a formal clash with the DC flag stars. This might be a case where a more subtle, less literal use of the DC flag would communicate the DC identity even more clearly than what you've got. I think this might better achieve your objectives with thicker stripes and no red stars. Maybe even change the shape of the "UNITED" banner so that it has more angles along the bottom that suggest the placement of the three stars from the DC flag.

Finally, if you want to minimize the red to look less like the Nippon Ham Fighters, or whatever the freakin' Metrostars are calling themselves this year, I don't think you got anywhere near mission accomplished. Swapping the red from the eagle to the top banner and increasing the white space actually accentuates the red to my eye. If you want to get rid of the red, great. Get rid of the red, or just use the two stripes behind the eagle. But I think that if you really want to accomplish what you set out to do in terms of differentiating United from the Fukuoka SoftBank Metrostars, you need to go much further than you've gone with this idea.

20082614447.png

Archived