Reviving the ABA

Turkleton

For those in the know, the Memphis franchise underwent 2 name changes. Memphis Pros, then Memphis Tams, then Memphis Sounds. I decided to go with the Sounds nickname because it was under this name, they had their most successful season. And as any old Memphis fans will tell you, the Tams were a f***in' disaster...

Initially, this was the hardest concept so far. I tried a few different logos with no success, didnt like any of em. One was a basketball with a quiff haircut and sideburns, but then I reminded myself they were called the Sounds, not the 'Elvises'...

I didnt start out to create this two colour, simple look, it just turned out this way. That being said, I think it suits the team, and a 3rd colour seemed to over crowd it almost. After a few tries it was obvious the musical notewas the direction I wanted to take, and the primary logo features these. This is also the only logo where I've kept the original wordmark. Again, many were tried. I tried some from the internet, tried a few of my own...but none of them worked as well.

However, for the uniforms, the font just made the uniforms too busy, so I used a simple font, for the simple uniforms. The uniforms are a re-do of the Sounds uniforms as they were back then. I had a little trouble with the alternate, with what colour to use. Obviously there was no 3rd colour to work with and black seemed too strong, so a neutral gray was used and I think it works nice with the red.

Anyway, next is the Miami Floridians, and then I will be taking a break from it as that will be the 10th concept, and thus halfway. Seems like a good place, plus I'm starting to tire of it, so I'll give it a week or 2 of not even looking at the project, then come back a bit fresher. Hope your all still tuning in ^_^

Turk

memphissoundsmh9.png

sigen.jpg

Archived