Seattle Sounders FC Expansion Draft Choices

Brian in Boston

In the wake of today's Major League Soccer Expansion Draft, the Seattle Sounders FC roster now features 14 players.

The team roster as of today is comprised of the following players. Seattle's 10 MLS Expansion Draft selections appear in bold print, along with their positions (their former MLS club is indicated in parentheses).

GK Kasey Keller

D Jeff Parke (NYR)

D James Riley (SJE)

D Tyson Wahl (KCW)

M Brad Evans (CMB)

M Stephen King (CHI)

M Freddie Ljungberg

M Sanna Nyassi

M Khano Smith (NER)

M Nathan Sturgis (RSL)

M Peter Vagenas (LAG)

F Nate Jaqua (HOU)

F Sebastian Le Toux

F Jarrod Smith (TFC)

I don't understand how they picked up Jarrod Smith from us instead of Johann Smith.

Chris Henderson, Seattle Sounders FC Technical Director on selecting Jarrod Smith from Toronto FC:

"We did a lot of research and watched some video, and the stats that we had, we liked what we had seen from Jarrod. He's currently in the New Zealand National Team pool, so that's something that if he makes the Confederation's Cup next year, we'll deal with that. I think he's a player that's hungry to prove himself. I think he's a competitor. He's a versatile player. He's a strong target type forward, but he can also play another position. We like that. We see a tremendous upside with Jarrod."

I still don't understand. I mean what video footage are they watching? His 15 minutes against LA Galaxy where he scored a goal? After watching TFC all season, and seeing all of Jarrod's performances, I just don't see how they picked him out of the unprotected players on not only Toronto but Chivas, DC and Dallas.

But anyways I have nothing against Jarrod, and wish him all the best with Seattle, except for when he plays against Toronto.

Seattle's midfield is looking pretty strong with Ljundburg, Nyassi and Khano Smith. Not a bad core to build around, plus they have the best keeper in the league. It will be interesting to see how they fare in their first season.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived