Round Robin Format in College World Series. Good Idea?

DaRadniz29

Okay, so while trying to figure my outline for couple of stories, my mind wandered a bit and somehow, most likely with the College Softball World Series gearing up and the College Baseball Regionals getting ready to kick-off, I landed on the WAC Baseball tournament bracket page. They utilize round-robin/pool play for their conference tournament. This got me thinking about the College World Series possibly using pool play once the eight teams are determined. Using 2012's CWS teams, I think I've come up with a way to make it work and not add more than 2-3 days max to the schedule. Don't worry I'll explain how it works if you are unfamiliar. Again this speculation but the more I think about it the more I kind of like it. Okay, so here we go. I don't know if they did this previously or not so maybe it's old news and been tried before.

Week One, the eight teams of the CWS are divided up into two pools. Pool A (1, 4, 5, 8). Pool B (2, 3, 6, 7). Teams play three games from Wednesday to Saturday. the top two teams in each pool move on to Week Two that becomes Double-elimination.

Here's a look at the breakdown for each. Just picked teams to show the breakdown. With the exception of the Championship Series they may or may not be accurate since my proposed format is different that last season's double elimination, etc.

Week 1:

Winners in bold. I didn't include a Pool A winner vs Pool B winner as I kind of felt it was somewhat unnecessary but it's feasible to include it.

mG9vCU4.png

Standings: (Schools in Bold advance to Round 2, Double-Elimination format)

ubu6oii.png

Arizona and South Carolina each have won their pool group. While Arkansas and UCLA were their pool group's runner up. To avoid immediate pool play rematches, we will utilize crossover play for the double elimination. In this instance no tiebreakers needed however the first tiebreaker would be head to head. Three teams tied could be maybe highest seed, or last resort - greater run differential or who has most runs (though that gets into the issue of the unwritten laws of baseball - see WBC)

Breakdown:

Week 2:

4wQ9EDK.png

There you have it. It's very similar to the WBC, and olympic format for other sports.

Pros: More games, more time to soak in the atmosphere and less chance of one bad game dooming a team. Extra days, more games more revenue for ballpark/city of Omaha and surrounding areas.

Cons: More games, more risk of injury, fatigue. Bit more potential for Lopsided games.

Thoughts? What would change or would you keep it the way the CWS is currently? Would you change the Regionals, Super Regionals?

Once the eight CWS teams for 2013 are determined, I post this with the 2013 teams with seeding, etc to see how it stacks up and the possible matchups that could become reality if this was the format of this year and maybe in the future.

Archived