Yankees to build new Stadium

jkrdevil

From what I've read, the plan is for the Yankees to privately fund the entire stadium themselves (about $750M) IF the city/state pledges to add a Metro North (commuter rail) station AND build up the area around the stadium (about $130M).

The previous estimates had the stadium going for close to $1B, but the Yanks chopped the retractable roof off, saving about $200M (or 1 A-Rod :D ).

The worst thing about Yankee Stadium is the location. If they are going to build a new stadium hey need to put it closer to Manhattan. How much more revenue would the team generate if they put the stadium in a safer, more pleasant neighborhood?

Not speaking as a Red Sox fan, but just a person who has been there, it's scary and gross. I don't know how much of a baseball atmosphere there is surrounding Yankee Stadium, but you don't feel it. Even walking around the park, you don't know there's a baseball stadium there...it's just one big building in the middle of the projects.

Wrigley has Wrigleyville, Fenway park has a big carnival-type atmosphere surrounding the stadium. But Yankee stadium, while a great place to visit and watch a game, is not a fun place to walk around.

Yankee Stadium could be a lot more fun experience if there were a lot more bars, restaurants, etc around it. A place to relax after the game, or a place to hang out if you can't get in.

I don't think that the new stadium will be ugly or bland. One thing George knows, it's how to make money (also how to spend it). I think he realizes what the players and fans want on a stadium, and he'll put in stuff to please everybody, while retaining all it's historical charm, and also continue to make him a hefty profit.

You know, not everywhere in the Bronx is the cesspool people make it out to be. The location doesn't seem to bother the 50,000 REAL fans that fill the seats every night. Just the yuppies who sit in the luxury suites and don't give a fluff about the game.

I could understand if they wanted to move to another area of the Bronx (where your idea would be more feasible... i.e. where fatcat wasp businessmen might be willing to invest their money), but the Yankees belong in the BX. Moving the Yanks to Manhattan would be like moving the Dodgers back to New York and building their stadium in Staten Island.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

What's good about this:

1. Maybe George will use too much money.

2. Maybe the Memorial garden for Ruth, Gehrig etc. will be in a place to visit during the Whole game.

3. I'm sure it'll be a good stadium.

What's bad about this:

1. George will get his way..... AGAIN

2. We'll only have 2 "classic" stadiums remaining.

3. Chicago and Boston may think they'll be able to get away with tearing down Wrigley/Fenway.

4. George will get his way.... AGAIN.

5. I will have never gone to Yankee Stadium.

6. Did I mention that George will have gotten his way... AGAIN?!?!?!?!?

I hate when George gets his way. I hate the Yankees. The only thing that deserves some respect is there stadium, and that won't remain anymore.

I hate the Yankees. I hate them even more now.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

From what I've read, the plan is for the Yankees to privately fund the entire stadium themselves (about $750M) IF the city/state pledges to add a Metro North (commuter rail) station AND build up the area around the stadium (about $130M).

The previous estimates had the stadium going for close to $1B, but the Yanks chopped the retractable roof off, saving about $200M (or 1 A-Rod :D ).

Yea, your right I misread. This new stadium would be privately funded by the Yankees (making it only the 4th ballpark in MLB history to be privately funded. The 3 others are SBC Park in San Fran., Dodger Stadium, and the current Yankee Stadium). The City would pay for fixing the roads and building up the area.

So the Yankees are going to pay for the new stadium themselves and not with tax money.

Interesting tidbit....The Mets have a lease clause which says that they have to be the first team to get a publicly funded stadium. Interesting, no?

However it looks like the new stadium for the Yankees will be privately funded.

The Mets do need a new stadium. In fact, every team that plays in the New York Metro area needs a new stadium and arena. I think the youngest on is Continental Airlines Arena at the meadowlands and that's over 20 years old.

Well........

It's backdoor loophole money, I think for that reason. There has to be a hotel complex built by the government.

Ain't democracy great! :D

From what I heard, it the Bronx President that wants that. Althouh I'm not for sure.

This is one of the few cases where the team says "okay, but you guys need to chip in and build up the area around the stadium" and it's really true.

As things stand right now, unless you need to buy a dubiously authentic t-shirt or get drunker than you already are, you're probably on the first 4 train out of the Bronx faster than John Sterling can scream "Thuh Yankees win! Thu-uh-uh-uh-uh Yankees win!"

Archived