Seattle NHL Brand Identity

colinturner95

Well, no time like the present. 

With the forthcoming announcement of the Seattle NHL's identity, I thought it time to post what I had done, actually as a school project and now probably going to be the letterhead of my design portfolio. 

CRWGi2A.png xskfVVW.png

I was inspired by the history of airplanes as well as Boeing being founded in Seattle, along with the Museum of Flight in Seattle (awesome place, if you haven't been and have the chance, I would highly recommend). I do acknowledge the fact that the Milwaukee Brewers do own the copyright to the MLB Seattle Pilots, but for a concept, I ran with it. I loved the idea of a double green for the base of the color scheme. I wasn't sure about a tertiary color other than white, and with the Sonics still not back in town, I felt yellow would be a welcome addition. The primary logo was designed around the idea of pilots wings. Secondary logo is the Space Needle with the viewing deck(?) replaced with the same style wings as the primary logo. Wordmark is a block font with the wings on the ends of the P and the S, with Seattle just above it. I wasn't crazy about the roundel logo, but my professor felt there needed to be another logo, so this was something I whipped up rather quickly to beat the due date. 

CAHpglJ.png F6tqAV9.png

So fun fact, these jerseys were actually what my NHL 19 expansion dynasty wore and it made things somewhat easy building the rest of the identity (hence Marner and MacKinnon being the jersey models). I can't explain why I used the Senators Centennial Classic jerseys, but I fell in love with the style and the colors. Went with the primary logo on the chest, Space Needle on the shoulders. For the font, I went with a blocky, almost current Jags style number font. Also, came up with an inaugural patch. Again, not crazy about it, but I think it's simple and gets the point across.

I5LbzNL.png ewQNP0s.png

Went ahead and imagined the expansion with an alternate jersey ahead of time. The roundel I'm not psyched about becomes the only real logo for this set. Yellow is dropped in favor of grey, with the exception of on the Inaugural Patch season. The striping changes a little bit with the dark green flanking a thin stripe of light green. 

C&C welcome! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

10 minutes ago, Sebastianm said:

Nice look, but we already know it’s a water themed team.

Well yes, but keep in mind, I've had this done since the beginning of December and just haven't posted it here yet. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Geez this is fantastic.  I love the name reaching back to the old baseball team (and Boeing).  The colors, the primary and secondary logos, the wordmark, all of it.  It looks like a professional branding package.  Great stuff.

mainescarf.png

Archived