College Basketball at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Rygi13

I'm a sucker for gimmicky outdoor sporting events. From the Carrier Classic to the Winter Classic, I can't get enough. I present to you the crossover event of the fall, The Brickyard Ball? The Greatest Spectacle in Hooping? ... okay, I don't have a name yet. This event merges Indiana's two favorite pastimes, basketball and racing. 

This early-season basketball matchup would take place on the front stretch of the world-famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The straightaway at Indy is 50 feet wide, the exact same as a basketball court. To accommodate the game, the pitlane wall would either need to come down or the court would be built on a platform above the wall, whichever offers better sight lines. Temporary stands will be added behind each basket for maximum seating capacity!

I imagine this event would feature either Indiana or Purdue, maybe rotate each season, and a big-name competitor.  The event could be a cross-promotion for Indycar and the Big Ten, both of which have deals with NBC, who would be the broadcast partner.

hio4YWa.jpg

While not actually on top of the yard of bricks, the court features the brick motif at midcourt along with the IMS logo. Two checkered flags flank the sides of the court. The parquet court is also another nod to the checkered flag pattern.

6lx39KB.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1