Blues Seventh Man (woman) Found Dead

STL FANATIC

I didn't know this woman or anything, but as a Blues and Cards fan and just another good human being, my condolences to her family.

It's quite possible Puckguy might have met her at one of the NHL Seventh Man things.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/spec...17?OpenDocument

Missing woman is found dead

By Denise Hollinshed

Of the Post-Dispatch

07/07/2005

A man cutting grass Wednesday afternoon behind a Belleville rental business discovered the badly decomposed body of a woman last seen early Saturday at a bar in downtown St. Louis.

The body of Paula Weinmann, 36, of Bethalto, was found about 1:30 p.m. behind a rental business in the 600 block of North 89th Street.

Police said there were no obvious signs of trauma or of how Weinmann was killed. An autopsy was scheduled for Wednesday night.

Weinmann was last seen talking with four men at 1 a.m. Saturday at Paddy O's, a bar near Busch Stadium. Weinmann had been at a Cardinals game Friday night.

Her car was found in north St. Louis, and her car registration had been found on an exit ramp near East St. Louis.

Belleville Police Chief Terry Delaney said Weinmann's body appeared to have been behind the store "quite a while."

Police are not sure if Weinmann was killed there or elsewhere.

Weinmann's fully clothed body was found lying face down by Josh Neuwirth, 24, of Swansea, an employee of AZ Lawn Care Service in New Athens.

Neuwirth said he dropped the weed trimmer he was using and ran to a co-worker, John Gossett, 46, of Freeburg.

"I walked back up there to see if it was just somebody sleeping," Gossett said. After checking, he instructed Neuwirth to call police.

Weinmann was divorced and the mother of two teenage sons. She worked as a legal secretary in St. Charles.

She was an avid fan of the Cardinals and Blues. The Blues gave her a "Seventh Man" award last year for her support of the team.

Mark Sauer, president and chief executive officer of the Blues, said in a statement Wednesday: "On behalf of the entire St. Louis Blues organization, I would like to extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Paula Weinmann."

Weinmann had the Blues' trademark note tattooed on her leg, and she was found wearing a Cardinals jersey embroidered with the number 22 and the name of former Cardinals catcher Mike Matheny.

After police and paramedics secured the crime scene Wednesday afternoon, onlookers gathered in the parking lot outside the rental business and a nearby discount store.

Quinton Kirkendoll of East St. Louis shook his head as he went by the police tape toward the discount store.

"This is senseless," Kirkendoll said. "The devil is ugly."

The Major Case Squad of Greater St. Louis is investigating.

Anyone with information is asked to call 618-234-1218, Ext. 749.

Archived