M L L Expansion...

Brian in Boston

I was just talking to a friend of mine back in Boston who happens to do some business with the Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse. Apparently, he's heard that three of the four Western expansion sites for next season are set.

Joining the previously announced Los Angeles franchise will be teams in Denver and Chicago. The fourth Western expansion team will be placed in either Dallas or San Francisco.

It will be interesting to see whether or not my pal is correct.

I thought they said they were thinking about Detroit/Michigan, as it's already a pretty big LAX state. Should be interesting to see.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

I don't recall MLL officials ever saying anything about Detroit being part of their "Project West Coast" expansion initiative.

When they granted the Los Angeles expansion franchise to AEG back in March, MLL officials listed Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle as the candidate markets for the remaining three 2006 expansion teams. They also said that the league would expand to an additional pair of markets in 2008, thus completing the establishment of a six-team "Western Division".

If MLL limits itself to placing franchises in six of the eight Western markets (including Los Angeles) it has listed as candidates thus far, I'd say that the "Western Division" will eventually be comprised of:

Chicago

Dallas

Denver

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Seattle

California & Colorado have big time LAX teams, from Pee-Wees to College clubs.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I don't recall MLL officials ever saying anything about Detroit being part of their "Project West Coast" expansion initiative.

I was reading on thier website where the commisioner answers mail, and he mentioned Michigan as a site they were looking at. But this was a while ago, I guess it wouldn't fit with something called Project West Coast.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

• 4 weeks later...

Archived