Hockey back in Topeka,KS.....

BRUINSFAN

Hockey returning to Topeka

By Kurt Caywood

The Capital-Journal

Published Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hockey will return to Topeka for the 2007-08 season, when the Santa Fe (N.M.) Roadrunners of the North American Hockey League make Landon Arena their new home under a contract completed Wednesday, said H.R. Cook, general manager of the Kansas Expocentre.

The NAHL is a Junior A league, comparable to the United States Hockey League, in which the Topeka ScareCrows competed from 2001-03. The Roadrunners, now in their third season in Santa Fe, currently are second in the NAHL's South Division and already have qualified for postseason play.

"This is a very, very high-end, skilled hockey team we have this year," coach Scott Langer said by phone to The Capital-Journal.

The Roadrunners, however, have been a big loser at the box office and rank 17th out of 18 teams in the league in attendance.

Topeka has been without hockey since the Topeka Tarantulas of the Central Hockey League folded following the 2004-05 season.

Read Thursday's Capital-Journal for complete coverage of the deal -- and the owner -- bringing a new team to Topeka.

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

The United League is looking at Topeka.

The American Association, Northern League, and Frontier League have in the past expressed interest. But they had no owners currently looking to build a Ballpark in Topeka.

United League MIGHT.

Last Pro Minor League team in Topeka.... 1961 Topeka Reds, Three-I League Champions! We currently have a College Wood Bat team called the Topeka Golden Giants that play in the MINK League.

http://www.topekasportshistory.com is a great place for that kind of info. Though I have been lazy and not worked on updating the team info for a bit.

Archived