Reviving the ABA

Turkleton

For the Colonels I wanted to take what they had and give it a 2008 update. For the primary, I kinda rotated the original logo, to a more obsure angle, which (and I presume this was the idea behind the original), it looks like a ball / hoop / backboard combo.

The seconday has the teams mascot, Ziggy, a Brussels Griffon dog that was owned by original team owners Joe and Mamie Gregory. Ziggy went to owner's meetings and had a front row seat for games! So the idea behind this logo is that its kinda like a 'Ziggy seal of approval'.

The uniforms are an update of the '74 to '76 jerseys, and IMO I'm actually quite happy with these. I toyed with the idea of taking the whole concept back to the original colours of green and white but it didnt fit with the package.

C&C would be nice, I'm sure this project may be boring a few of you now but the C&C does help with the next concept!

Next team: LA Stars

Turk

kentuckycolonelsgc7.png

sigen.jpg

For the Colonels I wanted to take what they had and give it a 2008 update. For the primary, I kinda rotated the original logo, to a more obsure angle, which (and I presume this was the idea behind the original), it looks like a ball / hoop / backboard combo.

The seconday has the teams mascot, Ziggy, a Brussels Griffon dog that was owned by original team owners Joe and Mamie Gregory. Ziggy went to owner's meetings and had a front row seat for games! So the idea behind this logo is that its kinda like a 'Ziggy seal of approval'.

The uniforms are an update of the '74 to '76 jerseys, and IMO I'm actually quite happy with these. I toyed with the idea of taking the whole concept back to the original colours of green and white but it didnt fit with the package.

C&C would be nice, I'm sure this project may be boring a few of you now but the C&C does help with the next concept!

Next team: LA Stars

Turk

kentuckycolonelsgc7.png

You're right, these are the best you've done. But a few questions. First, you do realize the trim on the front and back of the jerseys do not match. Was this intentional? I know the side insert was two colors but the arm trim on the back looks strange. And your numbers are just too fat. Slim them down slightly if you're able to. The original Colonels lettering was regular arched. How would that look?

I notice you never show any shorts. Reason? And lastly the Colonels colors for the initial season were Green (Kelly), Black and White.

You're right, these are the best you've done. But a few questions. First, you do realize the trim on the front and back of the jerseys do not match. Was this intentional? I know the side insert was two colors but the arm trim on the back looks strange. And your numbers are just too fat. Slim them down slightly if you're able to. The original Colonels lettering was regular arched. How would that look?

I notice you never show any shorts. Reason? And lastly the Colonels colors for the initial season were Green (Kelly), Black and White.

Yes, the trim was intentional, it just seems to take up too much room on the back view of the jersey. I did try the arched lettering but just preferred it straight.

I have no reason for not showing any shorts. Aside from football and....football (soccer), I never show the bottome half of the concept. Just how I've always done it and while I can obviously see why I probably should, I just kinda like it this way!

And I know about the colours, I did try them but they looked odd when applied to the logos and uniforms. Also, the numbers are a little thick...thats a good point and I've only just realised!!

sigen.jpg

Yes, the trim was intentional, it just seems to take up too much room on the back view of the jersey. I did try the arched lettering but just preferred it straight.

I have no reason for not showing any shorts. Aside from football and....football (soccer), I never show the bottome half of the concept. Just how I've always done it and while I can obviously see why I probably should, I just kinda like it this way!

And I know about the colours, I did try them but they looked odd when applied to the logos and uniforms. Also, the numbers are a little thick...thats a good point and I've only just realised!!

I remember when the real ABA started in 1967. They had some great uniform combinations during their tenure. I was selling uniforms in Rochester, NY at the time and we sold a set of Columbia Blue uniforms with Cardinal Red and White trim to a men's league team in the Rochester area. That uniform was patterned after the Carolina Cougars. I also sold a Kelly, Black and White set of uniforms to a high school near Rochester. I actually liked the Colonels unis when they switched to Blue, White and Red. And you may not believe this but we had a full set of original Los Angeles Stars ABA uniforms including home, away and warm-ups. They were made by Spanjian Sportswear (now DeLomg) when they were still located in Pasadena, Cal. They had hand-cut tackle twill lettering and stars on them. The colors were Red, White and Columbia Blue. Looking back I wish I would have kept those sample sets. We used to get them for different teams our manufacturers made uniforms for. Who knew?

I remember when the real ABA started in 1967. They had some great uniform combinations during their tenure. I was selling uniforms in Rochester, NY at the time and we sold a set of Columbia Blue uniforms with Cardinal Red and White trim to a men's league team in the Rochester area. That uniform was patterned after the Carolina Cougars. I also sold a Kelly, Black and White set of uniforms to a high school near Rochester. I actually liked the Colonels unis when they switched to Blue, White and Red. And you may not believe this but we had a full set of original Los Angeles Stars ABA uniforms including home, away and warm-ups. They were made by Spanjian Sportswear (now DeLomg) when they were still located in Pasadena, Cal. They had hand-cut tackle twill lettering and stars on them. The colors were Red, White and Columbia Blue. Looking back I wish I would have kept those sample sets. We used to get them for different teams our manufacturers made uniforms for. Who knew?

I felt like I was sat cross legged on the floor looking at bulldog in an armchair while I was reading that.... :D

Seriously, I'm big time into old school, not just basketball but everything. Cars, music, clothes...everything. So I actually quite enjoyed reading that!

sigen.jpg

Archived