David Beckham Wants to Own a MLS Team in Miami

rmackman

From today's Sun-Sentinel:

Pretend it like Beckham: MLS to Miami just a tease

Jeff Rusnak | Sun-Sentinel Soccer Columnist

July 13, 2008

The promise of an MLS team in Miami always has outpaced the reality. The most recent example is Mayor Manny Diaz's inability to lure a big-time investor to field a team there as early as 2011, despite offering $50 million in public funds to build a stadium at the Orange Bowl site.

The eternal promise, false as it always turns out to be, was renewed somewhat last Sunday by an English tabloid and comes in the unlikely guise of David Beckham.

According to a report in the Sunday Mirror, Beckham's $250 million MLS package affords him the option of owning a league team when the contract expires in 2011.

The Mirror cited an unnamed source as saying Beckham was considering Miami and New York as the cities he and business partner Simon Fuller are keen on. The source said, "Beckham does not want to go into management when his playing career ends and is now focused on owning a club. Simon Fuller is a clever man and believes there is a lot of money to be made as football continues to expand in the U.S.

"They have concluded Miami is ripe for a new team and stadium. There is a big Latino population who love their football and there is a large expatriate British community.

"Plus, it is a great place to live?very sunny and on the coast. They are now starting to look for the right financial partners and sponsors."

We've heard this or something similar before, of course. A couple years ago a Spanish newspaper reported that Real Madrid had outlined its "Miami 2010" project with the goal of placing an MLS team here. We're still waiting for that news conference.

Miami makes a fine soccer seductress with its good looks and demographics, but we've yet to see even a meaningful courtship, let alone a full-fledged commitment. Even so, though the promises are empty, at least the Magic City runs in impressive company when it comes to MLS rumors. First Real Madrid, then Beckham. Who's next? Madonna and A-Rod?

3644212692-soccer-friendly-sydney-fc-v-la-galaxy-telstra-stadium.jpgvaldecd9.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I never realized Beckham was so uninterested in holding on to his money.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I could think of worse owners to play for then Becks.I dont think he needs to worry about holding onto his money lol

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Archived