1970's Sabres logo diffrent from 1980's-1996?

Joseph

I was at the HSBC arena yesterday, And I noticed this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/5052336...1c2e077.jpg?v=0

The 1970's logo on the top jersey (danny gare) is much diffrent than the logo we we saw in the 80's and 90's

...just sloppier looking, they must have cleaned it up over the years.

these are game worn jerseys being displayed as part of the greater buffalo sports hall of fame.

newsigsma6.jpg

The 1970's logo on the top jersey (danny gare) is much diffrent than the logo we we saw in the 80's and 90's

these are game worn jerseys being displayed as part of the greater buffalo sports hall of fame.

You sound surprised.

Most logos in the 70's and before were not always "identical" and sometimes the alignment on the jerseys was totally off (look at some of the Montreal crest placements... *shudder*). If you ever get a chance to venture down to the Hockey Hall of Fame, you will get to see some logo cutting horrors if the sight of that caught your attention.

A good example of a logo being cleaned up in the 80's is the Leafs logo as there are two "Ballard Leafs" the current one and the older, more curvy one.

So this shouldn't come as a shock, its the same logo, just one was made with better machines at a different time.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

When Danny Gare played for the Sabres (1974-82) the blank sweaters were crested and lettered in Buffalo by Stan Weiss of AMCO Lettering on Main St. I know this because we had AMCO do some of our tackle twill work for our store in Rochester. AMCO made the Sabres crest out of tackle twill with the Bison hand-cut from a pattern that became worn with use. The detail such as the sabre blades, handles, eyes of the bison and accent detail was all done on an old, old, old chain embroidery machine on which the operator controlled the detail by cranking the "foot" by hand. Since each crest was individually done it is not hard to understand why the same crest appears a bit different on each sweater.

Also, AMCO's stock 12" number font used on the BACK of the Sabre sweaters was very, very similar to the Champion font that a lot of you guys like for football. But his 4" sleeve number font was similar to Sand-Knit's sleeve numbers of the late 1960s-early 1970s. The 4" Sand-Knit "2" was sans serif but had a horizontal center bar, just like AMCO's. AMCO's 12" back number "2" had a diagonal center bar and their "7" had a slightly curved diagonal bar ala Champion..

I've been at this for 41 years so I know what I'm talking about.

Archived