NHL's point system

HedleyLamarr

NHL Points Structure  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The IIHF System (3,2,1,0) works well for the limited number of games teams play in international competitions, but I kept track of each team's Win/Loss record this season. I noticed that a lot of teams get bunched up when winning percentage is the tie-breaker, followed by wins.

i am in favor of the purely win-loss system as long as the season stays 82 games long.

Here is my favorite format I have ever thought about:

for 30 weeks, an NHL tournament is held at one arena. Teams ranked 3-30 are ranked 1-28 to determine 14 winners. At the first tournament of the year, held at the home of the Stanley Cup Champions of the previous year, the Stanley Cup Finalists get byes and enter in the Round of 16. The next week, the top teams from the prev. week's tournament get byes. The team that knocks out the Stanley Cup winner first, would be labelled "Stanley Cup holders" (just like in the ancient days when teams would challenge the Stanley Cup holder for the trophy). The next time that team gets knocked out, the team that beat them would be the "holders." Wouldn't this be great! I would love to see a meaningful game every day in the MLB, NHL, and NBA.

At the end of the 30 tournaments, or at a designated arena on the last day of the tournament the real stanley cup finals would be held. or does everyone like best of 7 series?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you mess with the Stanley Cup Playoffs? It's the one postseason we have that usually doesn't suck. Baseball and the NFL are crapshoots that render the entire season pointless, the NBA playoffs determine nothing that couldn't have been determined in half the time, college football playoffs are declared by fiat, and the thing about March Madness that nobody talks about is that 95% of the players are bad at basketball. Leave my Stanley Cup alone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived