From West Ham United to West Ham Olympic?

schtee

Its not such a silly idea. I don't think it would float, but the 'Olympic' name from which a number of continental teams originally came from a famous and historic moment in English football when Blackburn Olympic won the FA Cup against the Old Etonians, becoming the first professional and northern team to win the FA Cup. Blackburn Olympic quickly got overtaken by their local rivals, Blackburn Rovers, and the name quickly dropped out of usage in the English game. Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique Marseille are two clubs that retain the title. (Incidentally Blackburn Olympic predate the modern Olympic games, though the term 'Olympic' was often used to describe local sports festivals in England, going back as far as Medieval times!)

Given that the move to the Olympic stadium would be enough of a wrench for the Hammers, I doubt that a name change as well would have any legs. Its an interesting idea, but not much of a runner.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Its not such a silly idea. I don't think it would float, but the 'Olympic' name from which a number of continental teams originally came from a famous and historic moment in English football when Blackburn Olympic won the FA Cup against the Old Etonians, becoming the first professional and northern team to win the FA Cup. Blackburn Olympic quickly got overtaken by their local rivals, Blackburn Rovers, and the name quickly dropped out of usage in the English game. Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique Marseille are two clubs that retain the title. (Incidentally Blackburn Olympic predate the modern Olympic games, though the term 'Olympic' was often used to describe local sports festivals in England, going back as far as Medieval times!)

Given that the move to the Olympic stadium would be enough of a wrench for the Hammers, I doubt that a name change as well would have any legs. Its an interesting idea, but not much of a runner.

That's interesting. To quote the late, great Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." I guess another benefit to a name change would be that Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester all use United, so why not stand out?

Archived