Logo Design Tips and Tricks

MrWonka

Hey people! I know a lot of people on this board are great at designing concepts and original logo designs. Ever since I was a kid at 5, I would print out blank football helmets and draw and color my designs, and I kept a book with all of them in it. I still have it today and honestly it is a great memory stash.

Anyways on to the point of this topic. I didn't really know what section of the Forum to put this in, so I guess concepts work out. I like to do my hockey jersey concepts on Photoshop, and that is a good tool to make logos on too, but the thing is, I'm just not good at creating logos. Maybe I'm not doing anything right. So for those who are talented at those things, is there a way you can give some tips and show some tricks to use that could slowly evolve my logo making skill?

My best logo I ever made IMO is something I made for my made up hockey team the Broad Street Bulls. I took a clipart image of a bull and slowly changed different parts of the image to make it different, yet give me a good stencil to get a good shape. I do want to continue my made up league, but it's hard when I have a good image in my head of a team I want to create, but can't successfully transfer what I have in my brain to the computer.

For those you contribute and help out -- Thanks a lot! And for those who also want to learn, hopefully this is a place where we can learn together and upload our progress as designers!

(Broad Street Bulls)

84ed9830f5f362286fe97f2b438f0db2.png

If you already us Photoshop, take a image of an actual bull in a charging motion and Rasterize the image. Rasterize the image to the point in which the photo has 3 main levels of contrasted shadows.

Once you have that, place this Rasterized image into Illustrator or your personal drawing program and create your logo.

Create the outline of the bull's head.

The highlight that would be displayed on the tips of the horns, forehead, and snout.

The middle shadow layer that shows the bulls skin color and then finally the dark shade that would be on the neck, chin and below the eyes.

Archived