Dan Marino Wax Figurine

WSU151

Here's the aforementioned uniform unveiling

512x.jpg

Marino's wearing the wrong pants (though nice job on the period accurate high tops), Taylor's wearing the wrong socks. Except for wearing the world's biggest football jersey I think Griese is okay, but it's weird that they chose to give him the orange dominant socks that were only worn for some of 1973. Those uniforms were far more associated with the striped aqua socks that they wore all the way up until going solid in 1987.

The Dolphins used orange socks as part of their Thanksgiving throwbacks in 2003. Why they did a throwback to 1973 instead of 1972? I don't know. Either way, it's likely the Dolphins had and extra pair lying around so they gave them to Griese.

That's exactly what Bob is wearing. He's got the thanksgiving throwback socks and pants on with an original game jersey (not sure if game worn) obviously you can tell by the fit and materials. Also notice the slight yellow tint of the jersey. It's pretty likely the equipment manager had to pull together some looks based on what they had on hand and this seemed like an adequate solution for a press event.

The Dolphins used orange socks as part of their Thanksgiving throwbacks in 2003. Why they did a throwback to 1973 instead of 1972? I don't know. Either way, it's likely the Dolphins had and extra pair lying around so they gave them to Griese.

Ummmmmm ... 30 years instead of 31 a good enough reason?

Ummmmmm... maybe. But seeing as everybody makes such a huge deal about the 1972 perfect season, and seeing as 73 was the ONLY year during that glory-years era that they wore the orange socks, it seems peculiar.

A number of Dolphin players from that 1972 team, including Bob Griese, have stated they felt the 12-2 1973 club was stronger than the unbeaten team. In fact, the '73 Dolphins were more dominant in the postseason than the year before.

Archived