Nanaimo and the WHL

kiwi_canadian

So the WHL has outright said that if the citizens of Nanaimo vote in favor of building a new arena on March 11th, then a WHL team will be playing at Frank Crane Arena in September and will effectively boot the BCHL Clippers out. Rumors are that the Clippers could possibly move up island to Campbell River or Courtney/ Comox area.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/whl-pledges-team-for-nanaimo-if-events-centre-approved-1.3315331

With that, do we see the Clippers brand graduate to the WHL or do we see a resurrection of old Nanaimo Islanders name from the 80's who are now the current Tri-City Americans? Or do we see an entire new brand? Kind of excited at the potential of another WHL team on the island especially with plans to move there soon. 

I am going to be very blunt on this:

This had zero chance of getting approved when you start digging into the recent politics at Nanaimo City Hall. The population's trust in city council is at an all-time low, and with last night's vote, they pretty much shouted their piece of mind to the city.

(FYI: 80% of the vote was NO).

Yeah from what I read people do not like the Nanaimo city council very much and, like what you said, this was a firm GFYS from the citizens. It's disappointing (as I'm looking to move there in a few years) but completely understandable. It will happen though in due time as the WHL does not want to let Nanaimo go as a potential market.

Archived