March Madness Alternate Uniform Concepts by Scheuer (Arizona Added)

Scheuer

marchmadnessheader.png

I've been messing around a lot more lately with basketball uniforms. Something I love about basketball is that there's a very defined sense of tradition while still mixing in new elements and concepts. This statement is especially true for college teams. Over the course of March Madness, I will be designing concept alternate uniforms for as many tournament teams as possible. I am to mix cutting edge and school tradition.

Schools Designed

Seton Hall

Northwestern

Notre Dame

Arizona

spread.png

The first school I took to designing was Seton Hall. I was watching the Marquette-Seton Hall game in the Big East tournament a week ago when I realized how cool Seton Hall's jerseys are. The cursive strip on the blue jerseys looks too fresh. I've been messing around with team nicknames on uniforms a lot more and wondered what giving Seton Hall the same treatment would look like. I wanted to give Seton Hall a different side to their very storied and traditional uniforms. Here's what I came up with.

hall.png

I based the uniform off of the template for the blue away uniforms, but made two modifications. The first is in the script. I isolated the "Hall" from the "Seton Hall" script and outlined it with silver. I then changed the striping in the shoulders and at the bottom of the shorts, putting silver in between the two white stripes instead of blue. The changes do not stray from the original design of the uniform, but they make a big impact that give it a new unique look.

Seton Hall has had some wildly questionable uniforms ever since they switched over to Under Armour....your concept is beautiful in its own right, not to mention a HUGE upgrade over anything they've had recently. My only minor suggestions would be to continue the back neckline all the way around the front, and then to add the centered gray stripe through it and the waistband. Great work!

11 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Seton Hall has had some wildly questionable uniforms ever since they switched over to Under Armour....your concept is beautiful in its own right, not to mention a HUGE upgrade over anything they've had recently. My only minor suggestions would be to continue the back neckline all the way around the front, and then to add the centered gray stripe through it and the waistband. Great work!

On 3/15/2017 at 8:16 PM, ATolly66 said:

F'n Perfect!!!

Thanks so much! Good catch Hoopladawg, should have done that the first time.

spread.png

I love the concept for the Northwestern Gothic uniforms. The execution by the football team is great, and the basketball team followed suit with some great sets with the same theme. However, there are some things I didn't really like with the basketball sets. I think the gold could have been accented a little more and I thought a lot of the small details were a little too much in the grand scheme of the jersey. I wanted to bring the same spirit and style of jersey but make it a bit more simple. Here's what I came up with.

gothic.png

The biggest changes are in the simplifications. Here, I took the Northwestern stripe arch design and made it more prominent and simplified on both the jersey and shorts. I also added a stone texture stripe down the sides of the jersey and shorts. The gothic script is simple and stripped back while still being intricate. With this set, there is the right amount of complex and simple.

11 hours ago, Scheuer said:

spread.png

I love the concept for the Northwestern Gothic uniforms. The execution by the football team is great, and the basketball team followed suit with some great sets with the same theme. However, there are some things I didn't really like with the basketball sets. I think the gold could have been accented a little more and I thought a lot of the small details were a little too much in the grand scheme of the jersey. I wanted to bring the same spirit and style of jersey but make it a bit more simple. Here's what I came up with.

gothic.png

The biggest changes are in the simplifications. Here, I took the Northwestern stripe arch design and made it more prominent and simplified on both the jersey and shorts. I also added a stone texture stripe down the sides of the jersey and shorts. The gothic script is simple and stripped back while still being intricate. With this set, there is the right amount of complex and simple.

Honestly  northwestern is one of the few schools that can pull off  a  black alternative uniform 

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

spread.png

I've been a Notre Dame fan for as long as I can remember. In recent years I've started following ND basketball more closely. One of the jerseys I've loved is the green jersey, but there were some things I wanted to change about the uniform. I didn't want the same cut and paste design from the gold jersey, but something different. With this design, I set out to do this. Here is what I came up with:

green.png

This is a little unorthodox for Notre Dame, but I think it follows a lineage and tradition of Notre Dame athletics. The first change I made is the incorporation of a different set of logos. The ND featured on the chest hearkens back to an older iteration of the ND logo, with a taller and different "N". On the shorts, a gold and blue version of the older leprechaun logo is implemented. Elsewhere on the uniform, I used a simple slash striping on the shorts instead of the chevron design. Another difference is the gold and blue detail covering the entire uniform. Gold is also used as the primary detail color for logos instead of blue. Overall, this is a pretty modern design for ND, but I wanted to keep it rooted in the past with a simpler design and past logos.

Northwestern: Their current Gothic alternates definitely feel cluttered, so I'm strongly in favor of your simplification -- especially in regards to the Gothic script, which turned out incredibly well for such a unique wordmark font. My only nitpicks with this set are 1) the jersey arches and how they cut off abruptly, though I do not have any better alternatives to offer; and 2) the shade of gold shows up as more of a mustard-yellow -- I've found gold incredibly difficult to accurately replicate on concepts, but perhaps a less yellow-dominant shade or even a gradient would help. Overall, this is an improvement over their current Gothic alternates.

Notre Dame: Their gold alternates they wore in the Tournament the other day have a gorgeous 'Irish' script, but the shade of gold trends toward a mustard-yellow as well and the amount of it is overwhelming. Green is a much better fit for them in terms of an alternate, and this is a wonderfully simple set you've created here. I'm not sold on the number font with the rounded '7,' and I think re-colored version of the aforementioned 'Irish' script from the gold alternates may look even better, but this is yet another terrific concept.

I'm a big fan of the style of your work -- clean and simple, but with details that are very well thought out. Keep 'em coming!

spread.png

I'm  a huge fan of the way that Arizona has worked copper into their color scheme. I think it's a really cool nod to the state and its history. I wanted to feature a red alternate uniform that used copper in a more prevalent way than the other Arizona jerseys out there while at the same time change some things I don't necessarily like about Arizona's gradient design. Here is what I came up with.

red.png

For this uniform I completely eliminated white from the equation, replacing it with copper. For the gradient design, I added my own spin to it, a copper bar close to the top that draws from uneven striping designs seen in a lot of Southwestern patterns. The chest features a copper Arizona wordmark with blue numbers underneath. On the shorts, instead of a full gradient design along the entire bottom, I limited it to a design similar to the tops on the side of the shorts. A recolored UA logo sits at the bottom. This is a pretty adventurous design with a lot of different colors and moving parts but I think it works pretty well in the end. 

I love the inclusion of copper here -- the wordmark turned out especially well! It's also an interesting take on the gradient, and I think it works. My only suggestion there would be to move the navy on the back of the uniform either up or down so as to put the last name entirely on one color or the other. The shorts incorporate the gradient nicely as well, though I think the seams from the template make for an awkward transition. Overall, another very good concept!

Archived