I decided to play around with the Panthers uniforms and see if I could make an updated version. I wanted a set that reflected the only uniforms the team has ever worn but that would represent a modern upgrade with the new ownership group in place.
Some of my biggest changes were:
1) Dropping the use of silver. I don't mind the Panthers use of silver for the most part but in trying to create a streamlined design 4 colors just felt tough to balance. Silver didn't feel like a necessary part, especially on the away set so it's now gone.
2) Making the helmet black. I wen't back and forth on this. I have never loved the idea of black helmets for the panthers, mostly because I have never seen one that looks great IMO. Especially after changing the logo a few year back a lot of concept work for the Panthers is just putting that logo on a black helmet. I think my problem with that is the lack of a consistent outline and no keyline on the logo cause it to get lost on a black helmet. I tried adjusting the logo, thickening some of the blue parts and making a consistent blue outline. I think it came out ok and black with that logo is the best of all the options I played with.
3) Removing the helmet stripe and changing the facemask to blue. I don't think this set needed a helmet stripe. I originally had one that matched the pant stripe (which comes from the original set), but it seemed like overkill. I think the blue facemask adds enough flair that the helmet doesn't look "plain" without a stripe. I'd love some feedback on this.
4) Making the home jerseys blue. I think it offers great color balance with black pants and a black helmet. It also allows for an all black alt for "big games".
5) Moving the classic shoulder loops to the sleeve and making them consistent across all 3 uniforms. I was really going for "modern classic" with this. Hopefully this set can be worn for 20+ years like the first.
I also made an alternate version of white pants and a pair of blue pants that I may post after I get some feedback on this set.
Without further ado, your UPDATED Carolina Panthers:
Here is a side by side of the logo adjustment:
And some close ups of the helmet and uniforms: