WHA throwbacks in the NHL?

ThurlBaileyGoggs

I'm a big fan of NBA teams doing throwback nights honoring former ABA teams in their city (the Wolves did MN Muskies unis a few years ago, the Grizzlies have done Memphis' various ABA teams, etc.) I'm curious to know if it's possible for NHL teams to do this with the WHA. I'd love the Wild to do a Fighting Saints throwback or to see the Senators bust out the Ottawa Nationals unis, Since the NHL and WHA merged, does the NHL own the rights to old WHA logos? I assume it'd be like the NBA/ABA, or is there a reason why the NHL couldn't do this?

The Oilers brought back their inaugural WHA sweaters back to honor their last season in Rexall Place. And It would be amazing for a few teams like the Wild to have a throwback, but most of the teams in the WHA, lasted for a few seasons, before folding during the regular season... It happened to the Fighting Saints TWICE. So most of the teams didn't have much emotional attachment to the cities, and there's not much to honor. The Saints were a HUGE team in Minnesota, as were teams like the Oilers, Jets, Whalers, and Nordiques. But The Avalanche won't do a throwback to the Nordiques anytime soon as there might be a new Nordiques. (Although I think they have done it for warmups) The Coyotes and the Hurricanes have pretty much forgotten their past, and would never do that. As for the Rest of the Franchises, the one in the NHL was bigger and better, with more history, so there's really no point. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived