USA Today HS Super 25 Helmets

Briton93

Here goes for my concept debut. 

For those who don't know, USA Today has tracked the top 25 high school football teams in the nation for a little more than 30 years.  Because there are already so many Pro and NCAA helmets out there, I thought it would be interesting to start my work out on an area left fairly untouched.

While creating the templates, I've realized that HS Football has changed dramatically since I played: private academies and charter schools are concentrating talent, with private schools in particular spending significant money on athletic programs. Half of the schools wore multiple helmets last season (40 helmets across 25 schools, to be exact).

A few quick shout-outs to:

- Darth Brooks: for his initial pass at a Riddell Speedflex template and willingness to coach on design and the craft of building a template. While my template is self-made, I did use his template as a separate benchmark to understand how to build templates.

- bkknight95: for how he packaged and rolled out his NFL 2020 work. I thought it was a creative means to roll-out design, so I've borrowed from the format. 

- Fraser Davidson: the godfather of concept helmets.

On to the work ... I will post five(ish) schools a day, beginning with the 25th ranked school. C&C welcome. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like all these! The concepts are good. I'd like to see some more. Maybe uniforms or a jersey swap, or something along that line. Just one helmet seems too little. The presentation style is clean and good-looking.

17 minutes ago, timberwolf said:

I like all these! The concepts are good. I'd like to see some more. Maybe uniforms or a jersey swap, or something along that line. Just one helmet seems too little. The presentation style is clean and good-looking.

Thanks for the feedback. Uniforms could be in the future. As we move up the rankings, you'll see more multiple helmets (the national champ wore five).

I'm running this concurrently (albeit slightly ahead) on Instagram, with a contest for a concept helmet for the school with the highest level of participation. I already have a handful done and look forward to sharing those as well soon.

ah Lake Travis HS..... they were once a smaller school, later on moved up to 4A winning 4 straight state titles, then moved up 5A as the school grew up and once again winning a state title. since last year, they moved up to 6A, (the largest schools) and they nearly won a state title...... geez, the program with its booster program are nuts there.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

1 hour ago, JMtexan09 said:

ah Lake Travis HS..... they were once a smaller school, later on moved up to 4A winning 4 straight state titles, then moved up 5A as the school grew up and once again winning a state title. since last year, they moved up to 6A, (the largest schools) and they nearly won a state title...... geez, the program with its booster program are nuts there.

I was amazed as I researched the schools what happens in TX. And if you think LTHS is crazy, just wait until you see other TX schools. 

Another observation is that winning begets winning. Many of these schools have won several championships, with key players now in NFL. 

Center Grove was probably my favorite school to research, for a couple of reasons:

1) They only wear the numbers on the left side of helmet (again, attention to detail).

2) When I looked into which number should get the honor on the concept, I came across this story (well worth the read):

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2013/11/15/leukemia-claimed-tyler-genneken-four-years-ago-but-his-spirit-lives-on-with-center-grove-high-school-football-team/3548617/

Sadly, this story appears to have another chapter (encourage everyone to help):

LCRKD1J.jpg

Archived