USA Today HS Super 25 Helmets

Briton93

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katy how could I not forget that team? That school have 7 football teams (Varsity, jV Red & White, Sophomore Red & White, and Freshmen Red & White). It is crazy enough to have an extra Freshmen team sometime. My friend played for Marshall High School (San Antonio) and he got to to play against Katy in the playoffs. He was saying that Katy was twice in number of players than his team had in a team. When the star-spangled banner song hit in, his team lined up just between 30 yards lines and while at that time, Katy's team lined up between nearly goal lines. dang that is too much 

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

10 hours ago, Briton93 said:

HSS2Pdw.jpg

American Heritage HS beat them in the first game of the season btw. They also had 16 D1 signees (18 overall). Pretty wild the top level prospects they are able to lure there. 

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

4 hours ago, Somppi said:

American Heritage HS beat them in the first game of the season btw. They also had 16 D1 signees (18 overall). Pretty wild the top level prospects they are able to lure there. 

Thanks much for the feedback and fact checking. You are right about the number of college signees - I had read an article which said 13, but I believe that these only counted top/blue chip prospects. I'll edit the post with the corrected count according to the Academy. 

That said, the game against Ameican Heritage is an interesting one. It was recognized as a preseason game. I'm unfamiliar with high schools playing full-length games as opposed to situational scrimmages, but at least hear two teams did just that. USA Today and Maxpreps both list IMG as 9-0. Further, Maxpreps does not list IMG or American Heritage on one another's schedules for 2015.  But it is a worthwhile asterisk in my mind which I will add to the record.

As for luring players down, it's a snowball effect at this point. "Two Days in April" was a sports documentary following college athletes through the NFL Draft process. I'll never forget the scene where players are down in Bradenton getting coaching on their 40-us test by someone by the name of Michael Johnson (you may be familiar with him ?). The bigger question in my mind is not whether they will be able to get premier players to attend, but how this will impact the quality of premier teams in other states. For example, a freshman from Allen High (TX, 20th nationally) just transferred to IMG. Had he stayed at Allen, he would have played in a state-of-the-art stadium, likely won multiple state championships, had the potential to draw attention to scouts, and perfected his game along classmates for as many as 13 years. In my opinion, it's a dangerous precedent and I feel it's a very good thing the NFL instituted the three-year rule long ago. 

Thanks again. I'll revise and edit the post with the corrected stats. 

On to the national champions ...

Bishop Gorman has an impressive resume:

- Seven-straight state championships

- Thirty-seven game win streak

- Back-to-back National Champions

- A fight song written and recorded by none other than Snoop Dogg (seriously)

Five helmets in all. Let's do this ...

MLFlboC.jpg

I have been wondering.... is there a day will we ever have a National High School Football Playoffs? I could bet that IMG Academy or Katy to beat Bishop Gorman. De La Salle could at least try, but it'd be crazy enough to set up a National High School Football Association by gathering the best high school teams to compete for the national championship. But I don't think so. Why? Because there are way too many schools in USA. That is why we have state/city championships for.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

3 hours ago, JMtexan09 said:

I have been wondering.... is there a day will we ever have a National High School Football Playoffs? I could bet that IMG Academy or Katy to beat Bishop Gorman. De La Salle could at least try, but it'd be crazy enough to set up a National High School Football Association by gathering the best high school teams to compete for the national championship. But I don't think so. Why? Because there are way too many schools in USA. That is why we have state/city championships for.

I don't think we are that far away from it. Teams are traveling cross-country to play one another during the regular season. The CCHS coach actually proposed a fairly unique idea:

Colquitt County HS Coach Proposes 4-team High School Playoff

That said, he has been known to act a little outside the norm:

Coach head butts player, opens bloody gash on head

You may begin comparing him to Varsity Blues starting ... now.

interesting... I could suggest 5 bowl series for all teams to have the opportunity to play for a national championship and 4 region championships (West, Midwest, South, and East). that would easily get rest of top 20 teams involved. (#1-4 in National, remaining top 4 within their region). I could imagine this structures:

National Championship (Arlington, TX)

#1 Bishop Gorman vs #4 IMG Academy

#3 De La Salle vs #2 Colquitt County HS

West Region Championship (Las Vegas, NV)

#7 Centennial vs #20 Allen HS (South representative but invited as at-large)

#17 Eastside Catholic School vs #11 St. John Bosco HS

Midwest Region Championship (Chicago, IL)

#6 St. Edward HS vs #16 Center Grove HS

#15 Loyola Academy vs #8 Male HS

South Region Championship (Birmingham, AL)

#5 Katy HS vs #19 Jenks HS

#18 Spanish Fort vs #9 St. Thomas Aquinas HS

East Region Championship (Philadelphia, PA)

#10 Imhotep Institute Charter vs #14 Aquinas Institute 

#13 Gilman School vs #12 Dematha Catholic HS

Dang... that would have been interesting to watch these games on TV..... 

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

I've posted this here before, but I always was partial to my alma mater, Millard North High School (Omaha, NE).

They use a simple blue-gray color scheme, but the white stripe on the helmet is actually athletic tape.  Legend goes that years ago some player's chin strap wasn't functioning at a critical moment in the game and they quickly taped it back on.  Of course over time, the story grew and he probably went on to make the game-saving touchdown, interception, sack or just re-filled the water cooler.  

Either way, "taping the helmets" became a tradition, kind of like how Notre Dame repaints their lids with actual flakes of gold.

d-72101.jpg

137a5a8e-04dc-e111-b8d5-002655e6c126_ori

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Second-to-last helmet for Bishop Gorman. Black Matte shell, chrome decals and stripes, two-tone facemask, and note the back of helmet. I thought it was interesting how they placed the players' last names on the helmet and left the jersey blank. Featured name is Tate Martell, QB who is committed to Texas A&M. 

mkNfUfU.jpg

And here's the last helmet: Hydrographics made a full skin pattern for BG, which I replicated below. 

Once Instagram/Twitter voting closes on the custom concept contest (in the next week or two), I'll post the helmets I've made. In the mean time, thanks to everyone for their C&C. 

KSnV0bt.jpg

On 3/16/2016 at 10:25 PM, Briton93 said:

Thanks much for the feedback and fact checking. You are right about the number of college signees - I had read an article which said 13, but I believe that these only counted top/blue chip prospects. I'll edit the post with the corrected count according to the Academy. 

That said, the game against Ameican Heritage is an interesting one. It was recognized as a preseason game. I'm unfamiliar with high schools playing full-length games as opposed to situational scrimmages, but at least hear two teams did just that. USA Today and Maxpreps both list IMG as 9-0. Further, Maxpreps does not list IMG or American Heritage on one another's schedules for 2015.  But it is a worthwhile asterisk in my mind which I will add to the record.

As for luring players down, it's a snowball effect at this point. "Two Days in April" was a sports documentary following college athletes through the NFL Draft process. I'll never forget the scene where players are down in Bradenton getting coaching on their 40-us test by someone by the name of Michael Johnson (you may be familiar with him ?). The bigger question in my mind is not whether they will be able to get premier players to attend, but how this will impact the quality of premier teams in other states. For example, a freshman from Allen High (TX, 20th nationally) just transferred to IMG. Had he stayed at Allen, he would have played in a state-of-the-art stadium, likely won multiple state championships, had the potential to draw attention to scouts, and perfected his game along classmates for as many as 13 years. In my opinion, it's a dangerous precedent and I feel it's a very good thing the NFL instituted the three-year rule long ago. 

Thanks again. I'll revise and edit the post with the corrected stats. 

I agree about IMG, very interesting to see how that school goes going forward. I know that a lot of the schools in Florida will not play them because of their recruiting. I follow recruiting very closely, so I was familiar with the school (for obvious reasons ha) and it was pretty shocking to hear that a team that loaded lost. The IMG website has it grouped together with the rest of their season games, so I'm actually not sure if it was a spring game or a real game. Either way, keep up the concepts! 

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

On 3/16/2016 at 0:02 PM, JMtexan09 said:

interesting... I could suggest 5 bowl series for all teams to have the opportunity to play for a national championship and 4 region championships (West, Midwest, South, and East). that would easily get rest of top 20 teams involved. (#1-4 in National, remaining top 4 within their region). I could imagine this structures:

National Championship (Arlington, TX)

#1 Bishop Gorman vs #4 IMG Academy

#3 De La Salle vs #2 Colquitt County HS

West Region Championship (Las Vegas, NV)

#7 Centennial vs #20 Allen HS (South representative but invited as at-large)

#17 Eastside Catholic School vs #11 St. John Bosco HS

Midwest Region Championship (Chicago, IL)

#6 St. Edward HS vs #16 Center Grove HS

#15 Loyola Academy vs #8 Male HS

South Region Championship (Birmingham, AL)

#5 Katy HS vs #19 Jenks HS

#18 Spanish Fort vs #9 St. Thomas Aquinas HS

East Region Championship (Philadelphia, PA)

#10 Imhotep Institute Charter vs #14 Aquinas Institute 

#13 Gilman School vs #12 Dematha Catholic HS

Dang... that would have been interesting to watch these games on TV..... 

#makeithappenCBS

On 3/17/2016 at 7:16 PM, mamiller99 said:

Too bad Leander won't ever be on here, ever. Speaking of which, I'm so scared for next year: Lake Travis, Westlake, Vandegrift, Vista Ridge, us, and two other teams. So worried:mellow:

Yo thats rough. Just having Westlake and LT would be rough.

a2BRS8U.png

Archived