Marquette Basketball Uniform Concept by Scheuer

Scheuer

title.png

This fall Jordan and Marquette released Marquette's 100th Anniversary uniforms for use in the 2016-17 season. The uniforms take a lot of different elements from Marquette Basketball history and combine them together into one jersey. I like a lot of things about the uniform, but the thing I missed the most was the iconic rainbow striping on the sides of the uniforms. The new Jordan uniforms also are two-colored uniforms, making them look kind of bland at times. However, I think that Jordan cleaned up a lot of aspects of Marquette's look that were a little unorganized and wild on the previous set. There isn't any unnecessary piping or anything that really makes it too over complicated. I wanted to create a concept to combine these two jerseys while keeping the simple, pulled together, historic look.

I kept all of the uniforms following pretty much the same template, just switching colors from uniform to uniform. 

First, for the home and away jerseys.

home.pngaway.png

The main change is the reappearance of the rainbow stripe. Both jerseys feature the same throwback numbering and lettering used on the current uniforms. The ventilation holes forming the pattern of the famous bumblebee jerseys stays as well. The home set features navy trim, and the gold, navy, and white rainbow striping with a gray segment on the jerseys. The away uniforms switch out navy striping for championship blue and gray for dark navy. I wanted to keep these two looks crisp and completely traditional.

Now, for the alternate jerseys.

yellow.png 

champ_2.png

These uniforms use the same template as the other two uniforms. The only change is on the yellow jersey, where "Marquette" is replaced by "Golden Eagles". Marquette has never done anything like this in their history, but I wanted to try something different with these. The only difference on the championship blue set is a navy outline around the gold lettering and patches.

Overall, the jerseys bring back the rainbow striping without being too busy. I think I struck the right balance between the past two uniforms.

All C&C is appreciated! Curious to hear how I did.

I feel much like you do in regards to your assessment of Jordan Brand's recent redesign of Marquette's look -- it's clean for the most part, true to their brand's history, and overall a much-needed improvement. However, seeing what you've created here, I think you just about nailed it! This is certainly even more of an upgrade in my eyes.

Your color balance is excellent across all four uniforms is excellent and the striping creates interest without looking cluttered. Some of my favorite parts are in the details, though: the ventilation subtly creating an allusion to the throwback bumblebee striping, the "GOLDEN EAGLES" wordmark on the gold jersey, and the removal of the American flag logo to balance the Big East Logo against the Jordan Brand logo.

There are a few elements I, personally, would change:

-The contrasting neckline only appears on the backs of the jerseys....I would either continue it all the way around or eliminate the neckline, armhole, and potentially even waistband contrasts altogether.

-On the light blue alternate, the navy blue outlines seem a bit too overstated on the smaller elements (Jordan Brand logo, 'AL' monogram, and Big East logo)....I would eliminate the outline, and potentially consider making those aforementioned elements navy blue.

-Jordan Brand's recent redesign of Marquette's uniform is probably my favorite design that I've seen thus far on the silhouette of the new Nike template in terms of spatial usage....I think your work here would look just as good and most likely even better on that same template. (Shameless plug: I've been working on a .PSD file template of that new Nike template for the NBA and have recently thought of creating an NCAA version as well by simply switching the logos and tags -- if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to send it to you.)

All in all, very impressive work. These boards don't seem to have enough basketball concepts these days, but I really like what you've done here. Thanks for sharing!

9 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I feel much like you do in regards to your assessment of Jordan Brand's recent redesign of Marquette's look -- it's clean for the most part, true to their brand's history, and overall a much-needed improvement. However, seeing what you've created here, I think you just about nailed it! This is certainly even more of an upgrade in my eyes.

Your color balance is excellent across all four uniforms is excellent and the striping creates interest without looking cluttered. Some of my favorite parts are in the details, though: the ventilation subtly creating an allusion to the throwback bumblebee striping, the "GOLDEN EAGLES" wordmark on the gold jersey, and the removal of the American flag logo to balance the Big East Logo against the Jordan Brand logo.

There are a few elements I, personally, would change:

-The contrasting neckline only appears on the backs of the jerseys....I would either continue it all the way around or eliminate the neckline, armhole, and potentially even waistband contrasts altogether.

-On the light blue alternate, the navy blue outlines seem a bit too overstated on the smaller elements (Jordan Brand logo, 'AL' monogram, and Big East logo)....I would eliminate the outline, and potentially consider making those aforementioned elements navy blue.

-Jordan Brand's recent redesign of Marquette's uniform is probably my favorite design that I've seen thus far on the silhouette of the new Nike template in terms of spatial usage....I think your work here would look just as good and most likely even better on that same template. (Shameless plug: I've been working on a .PSD file template of that new Nike template for the NBA and have recently thought of creating an NCAA version as well by simply switching the logos and tags -- if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to send it to you.)

All in all, very impressive work. These boards don't seem to have enough basketball concepts these days, but I really like what you've done here. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all of the feedback! I totally agree with what you have to say about the Nike template. If I ever revisit this design in the future, I will defenitely be looking to update it to the template. With the smaller elements on the blue alternate, it looks much better in navy than in gold. I will be updating it in the original post. Thanks for the tip! Thanks a ton for taking the time for the write up, happy you enjoyed the concept!

Also coming in to comment on this one, very nice job! I just have a little nitpick and a question. 

1. I think the numbers on the back of each jersey are off center, I could be wrong, but maybe just take a closer look at it.

2. That template that you use, would you mind sharing it with me? Appropriate credit will be given. 

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

2 minutes ago, Broncoboy7 said:

Also coming in to comment on this one, very nice job! I just have a little nitpick and a question. 

1. I think the numbers on the back of each jersey are off center, I could be wrong, but maybe just take a closer look at it.

2. That template that you use, would you mind sharing it with me? Appropriate credit will be given. 

Thanks! I centered the numbers but I get what you're saying about them looking offcenter. Might have done something wrong there. I'll send you the link to the template!

Archived