High School Hawk Logo

bucknut42

Hello all. So within the last year, one of the high schools in my conference was the victim of the Redskin debate. They were the Redskins, then the town voted to change their name. The final three options were Gladiators, Wolfpack (my favorite) and RedHawks. The school wide vote went for the RedHawks and the rebrand began. 

This is the logo they came up with. It is the most modern of all the ones in our conference, but unfortunately it looks like a mental chicken. So I have decided to try my hand at a logo tweak. IMG_2965.JPG

Here is my sketch. It's just a rough thing I threw together in about 10 minutes. Wanted to pick all of your brilliant brains about the design before I made it digital. Here it is.IMG_2964.JPG

Thanks for looking, C&C much appreciated. 

spacer.png

Although awkward in some places, the top logo doesn't look all that bad to me, especially for high school. It is full of motion and the hawk appears to be swiftly turning its head at a slight 3/4 angle, which I like. It's not just another stagnant profile bird head logo. The issue is the placement of eye and mouth. If they raised the eye a little and got rid of the awkward black line forming the mouth, it'd fix the "chicken" look.

Your sketch looks like it has a lot of potential as well. It's hard to compare the two, until you make it a vector.

34 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

Although awkward in some places, the top logo doesn't look all that bad to me, especially for high school. It is full of motion and the hawk appears to be swiftly turning its head at a slight 3/4 angle, which I like. It's not just another stagnant profile bird head logo. The issue is the placement of eye and mouth. If they raised the eye a little and got rid of the awkward black line forming the mouth, it'd fix the "chicken" look.

Your sketch looks like it has a lot of potential as well. It's hard to compare the two, until you make it a vector.

I actually agree with this.  I don't find the original logo all that bad. 

That being said, I like your sketch as well.  That's pretty good work man.  I'd love to see a digital version of it with color.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm gonna shoot for having a vector image by tomorrow, and then you can get a better idea of what my logo will actually look like. 

As for what I am trying to do, I'm going for a tweak. I do think the original has some good traits, but the facial structure of the hawk is a little bit off. So that's what I'm gonna try and fix. I may try and get a 3/4 view, but for now I'm gonna work off of the sketch I have. 

spacer.png

Archived