NEW NAHL TEAM!

Retromaniac

pic.jpg

MARSHALS RIDE INTO CENTRAL TEXAS

The North American Hockey League announced today it has awarded a membership for the Killeen-Temple Central Texas area to a four-person group headed by Dr. William S. "Steve" Marsh of Killeen, Texas.

The group has reached an agreement with the Bell County Expo Center and will operate there for the 2004-05 season.

The team will be called the Central Texas Marshals. A hockey operations and coaching staff will be announced shortly.

"This is a very positive development for our league, the players who played in Central Texas last season and the enthusiastic fans in the Central Texas market," said NAHL commissioner Michael Santos. "We worked very hard with the parties involved to get it done and we feel we now have strong, locally-based ownership that is deeply committed to the growth of hockey in this area."

"I am very pleased to be able to help keep the NAHL in Central Texas," said Dr. Marsh. "I've lived here for nearly a decade. I came down to serve in the Army at Fort Hood and have stayed here, and I believe this is a terrific market for hockey. Fort Hood has 50,000 active duty troops and is getting bigger by the day. Many of these service people love hockey and we're happy to give it to them.

"Plus, there has been enormous interest by the residents of this area in the NAHL. We've had hockey here for a number of years and the NAHL has provided a quality product over the past two seasons. No one wanted to see NAHL hockey disappear here.

"An additional reason for our interest is that the Bell County Expo Center is the only ice facility within an hour's drive and all our youth hockey takes place there. Without an NAHL club, the Expo Center would not lay down an ice surface. Personally, I have two sons who play in our youth hockey program and our local high school team finished 6th in the state last season after only two years of operation -- and we're looking to improve on that this year and develop our own local talent. We're going to be linked intimately with the youth hockey program in our area.

"So, for all these reasons, we're in this for the long haul and we think we can build a successful program with the Marshals. We also want to build an interest in all things that we can on the Expo Center ice surface -- youth hockey, figure skating, speed skating, and hockey, even people interested in making the transition from in-line skating to ice skating.

"Finally, I'd like to thank the people at the Bell Country Expo Center for their great cooperation in getting this deal done. "

The Marshals have a tryout camp tentatively set for Aug 20.21,22 at a location to be announced shortly. Further details will be available on this Website.

Players seeking more information may contact Marshals assistant coach Jacques Mailhot at (254) 760-0254 or Jacque44s@aol.com.

The club is looking for host families, specifically in the Killeen-Harker Heights area, who are willing to provide a good, strong environment for the players, make them part of their own family and support the players' hockey goals. Families interested in participating should contact Ursula Rushing at Rushingu@hot.rr.com.

Archived