(VIEWER PARTICIPATION REQUIRED!) Into the DFW-Verse! (ReDigitized FWT Bulls/DAL Longhorns up)

BlueMoon18

26 minutes ago, BlueMoon18 said:

Well I could say right now that the NFL/AFL Texans I combined into one concept, hence why two dates were there when I did the entry. But if you do want me to do a 1960 colorway of the Texans then I can.

So you're gonna do the Texans with the red and yellow colors of the AFL franchise and navy and white colors of the NFL franchise?

QNXVyki.png

41 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

So you're gonna do the Texans with the red and yellow colors of the AFL franchise and navy and white colors of the NFL franchise?

Noooooooooot necessarily. I plan for the Red and Yellow colorway to be used as an alternate uniform for the team. Navy and white will still be used as the home and away.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

REDIGITIZED #1: DALLAS TEXANS (1952/1960)

This took me way too long to re-digitize. I did end up making additional changes again, but these is the final uniform for the Texans. I'll explain each one by one this time.

LOGO SHEET

spacer.png

• The primary logo is, again, inspired by @Blindsay's idea to fix the Mii-looking primary I had originally. However, I removed the hat because I figured it'd be a bit much. There are two colorations since this is used on the helmet, which you'll see on the uniforms.
  • The three secondaries are the same as the sketched version, except I did only one revolver instead of 2 and put a D on the handle. The idea for the third secondary (the one with the bandana) is actually based on the Desperados, which I'm doing something entirely different for.
  • I'll mention this change now before I go into the uniforms. The main font has changed from IFC Railroad to Bronco, since the IFC font looked way too large to make a decent uniform to me. You tell me which one is better though.

HOME UNIFORM

spacer.png

The home uniform (know that most football home unis WILL be white, and most away unis will be colored. Alts will not matter) I decided to be more traditional than the sketched plan. The rope stripe for the pants made it look more like an arena football uniform, so I replaced that with a traditional white-silver-white stripe. However, I did still keep the star on the sleeve, which in effect makes it closer to the '60 Cowboys throwbacks (I'm doing something similar for the Cowboys).

NOB player used here is George Taliaferro, like before. He was drafted in 1949 by the Chicago Bears in the 13th round (the NFL Draft used to be waaayyy longer back then), becoming the first Black player to be drafted in the NFL. However, he opted to instead play for the AAFC's LA Dons in 1949, then moved to the New York Yanks in 1950. He played with them until they "moved" in 1952 to become the Dallas Texans, who themselves "moved" the next year to become the Colts. Taliaferro would be a Colt for the first two years, then played with the Eagles (who are next up after I do the redigitzed Bulls concept) for his last season.

AWAY UNIFORM

spacer.png

Same idea as home uniform except for a blue-sliver-blue (or navy-silver-navy) stripe to replace the stars, and Dallas replaces the Texans wordmark. Other than that, this is essentially a color flip of the home uniform. Again, the helmet uses the new primary logo instead of the DT monogram (which I scrapped because that's more of a baseball theme).

NOB player here is Abner Haynes (I know, weird name), who was born in Denton. He went to North Texas State (now just North Texas) and integrated Texas football with Leon King in 1957. He signed with the Texans in 1960 despite being picked in the 5th round of that year's NFL draft by the Steelers. Haynes played his first five years with the Texans/Chiefs, then was traded to the Broncos (allegedly for protests against the '64 AFL All-Star Game being in New Orleans, which was still segregated. The game was moved to Houston instead) in 1965. After playing with them for two seasons, he then played with the Miami Dolphins and NY Jets in 1967, and retired. His No. 28 is retired by both the Chiefs and the North Texas Mean Green.

ALTERNATE UNIFORM (HUNT CITY)

spacer.png

Now THIS. @maxwasson (this was his idea (in a sense) btw, I almost didn't do an alt for this team), this probably isn't what you excepted for the red-gold colorway. I more or less thought of this as making a gold jersey, something the follow-up Chiefs never did. It's a bit simplistic, as is the Chiefs identity, so it fits. I used "Hunt City" to reference Lamar Hunt owning the '60 Dallas Texans. I tried not to go too crazy as to not make it an arena football uniform.

I did another strangely-named '60 Texans player for the NOB here; this time it's Cotton Davidson. He also played pretty locally in college (this time it's Baylor). He was drafted by the Colts (HEH) in 1954, only to be immediately drafted into the US army after his first season. He doesn't play again until 1957, by which Johnny Unitas took over. In 1960, he'd become the Texans' first starting QB, taking on that role until 1962, when he got traded to the Raiders (yep. Two players traded to division rivals...). He'd play with them until 1968.

ANY CHANGES?

In this reality, the '52 Texans do end up finding stability, thus leaving no need for either the Cowboys or the Dallas team in the AFL to exist. Here's what happens now:

• When the AFL forms in 1960, Minneapolis gets a team instead of Dallas, which puts the Vikings in the AFL. They move to KC in 1963 and become the Chiefs, and Minneapolis gets the Vikings back in a Browns-esque deal in 1966.
  • The merger in 1970 would put Dallas in the AFC to take the Colts' spot, who will stay in the NFC. They would be in the AFC West with the Chargers, Broncos, and Raiders. The Chiefs would be in the AFC Central. The Colts would take the Cowboys' spot in the NFC East with the Eagles, Commanders, and Giants. Both the Texans and Colts stay in their division in the 2002 realignment, but the Chiefs move to the AFC South with the Jags.
  • Speaking of 2002, Houston's NFL team can't use "Texans" now since Dallas has that name. Instead, they go with Roughnecks, which forces the 2020/23 XFL team to rename themselves to the Spacemen.

That's all I have for now. As always, C+C is appreciated!

Edited by BlueMoon18
NOB players have been added.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

Really love how clean the primary logos look, Nice job!

Thank you! With you being the inspiration for this project, that means a lot. I'm glad I made that change from the Mii logo...whew that was a rough try at using Illustrator to make a face...

• Like 1

• BlueMoon18 changed the title to (VIEWER PARTICIPATION REQUIRED!) Into the DFW-Verse! (ReDigitized Dallas Texans up)

Header and list have both been updated to accommodate the new redigitized team.

Now for the redigitized Bulls concept, I'm adding a color to the already sketched concept. There's already orange and brown...if anyone can guess the third color I'll shout them out in the Bulls post.

Guess away folks!

• Like 1

Considering one of the NOBs I used went to Baylor...I have a small question.

Should I add teams from other areas close enough to DFW but not crossing another big part of Texas? The Brazos Valley and East Texas would be added on, as well as some cities that are close enough to major cities in the DFW area to not overlap another region. This would add on the following:

• Waco
  • Bryan-College Station
  • Killeen-Temple-Ft. Hood
  • Northeast Texas
    • Tyler
    • Longview
    • Texarkana
    • Marshall
    • Mt. Pleasant
  • Lubbock
  • Wichita Falls-Lawton
  • Abilene-Sweetwater

Let me know if I should add these cities before I continue.

8 minutes ago, BlueMoon18 said:

Considering one of the NOBs I used went to Baylor...I have a small question.

Should I add teams from other areas close enough to DFW but not crossing another big part of Texas? The Brazos Valley and East Texas would be added on, as well as some cities that are close enough to major cities in the DFW area to not overlap another region. This would add on the following:

• Waco
  • Bryan-College Station
  • Killeen-Temple-Ft. Hood
  • Northeast Texas
    • Tyler
    • Longview
    • Texarkana
    • Marshall
    • Mt. Pleasant
  • Lubbock
  • Wichita Falls-Lawton
  • Abilene-Sweetwater

Let me know if I should add these cities before I continue.

I think you should just keep it within the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. 

QNXVyki.png

2 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

I think you should just keep it within the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. 

Considering I already have 130-something teams alone within DFW...you might be right. I could do a separate one like this with the surrounding cities or just add the colleges for the cities listed above.

• Like 1

TEAM #2 - FORT WORTH BULLS / DALLAS LONGHORNS

Yep. We have a double on team two. I reworked this one as a double for a reason.

LOGO SHEET

spacer.png

Longhorns set of logos is the same as before, so I'm not going to mention much there. However, the original primary for Fort Worth has been discarded for the bullhead logo (originally a secondary). Both other secondaries and the wordmark remain in their position.

BULLS HOME UNIFORM

spacer.png

Remember when I said most home uniforms for football will be white? This is one of the exceptions, as I used SAND (that's the new color) as the base for the home. The helmet is Rams-templated, with the ram horn being replaced with a bull horn. Both the home and away use a sand helmet with a white horn and a burnt orange tip. The stripe at the top of the pants is a reference to cowboy vests going down further than a shirt normally would (same thing applies for the away). A diamond side stripe reference diamond boots. There's a big cowboy theme going on with the uniform set for the Bulls, so keep that in mind.

NOB: Bob Waterfield, who actually won the MVP in 1945 (as a rookie...), the year before the Rams relocate to Dallas in this universe.

BULLS AWAY UNIFORM

Fort-Worth-Bulls-Away-Uni-1.png

Again, similar idea to the home. Instead the jersey has an orange base and a brown belt. The sand and brown on the pants have been inverted, but that's the only other different subtract the wordmark.

NOB: Fred Gehrke. He was this team's HB in 1945 (an HB wearing 18 seems somewhat weird today, but just wait until you see the other player I used for this), but you may know him more as the guy who designed the Rams helmet. He'll take that same role in Dallas.

BULLS ALTERNATE UNIFORM (Cattletown/Rawhide?)

Fort-Worth-Bulls-Alt-Uni-C-1.png

This alternate carries on the cattle theme I've been using for the Bulls, but uses the hide color of brown as the main, hence why also call this the Rawhide alternate. One thing I will say tripped me up was the stripe for this one. I probably should have made it the sand color considering this is the ONLY instance of orange being used on this uniform. You be the judge though.

NOB: Dan Greenwood. Yeah...66 is even weirder for an non-lineman to wear as a number, and I was just as shocked to find that this man wasn't an OL, but also a back like Gehrke. He did play for Cleveland's replacement team after his year with the Rams, and retired in 1947.

The number & name font is Bonzer San Fransisco and the team font is Froadmile.

LONGHORNS HOME & AWAY UNI

spacer.png

Here's the other half of the Bulls identity. This serves as a throwback (They become the Bulls in the 90s) for the team, and the main reference behind this is the Texas Longhorns (who just so happened to be the basis for the Longhorns nickname to begin with). So, admittedly, I was a bit lazy and just added royal blue where needed. However, I couldn't go too crazy as Texas's identity is insanely recognizable to anyone. This was practically the only thing I could do without really overdoing it. Same is done for the away unis below.

spacer.png You should know both NOBs here so I'm not gonna mention them. The number font is College Slab, and the name & team font is The Athletic Font.

SO WHAT CHANGES?

• The Cowboys do still exist, as the Longhorns do end up playing in Fort Worth at Amon G. Carter Stadium to start of their history.)
  • Not much changes after that until 1970 when the merger comes around. By this point, the Cowboys and then-Longhorns develop a rivalry. This become inter-conference as the Longhorns move to the AFC West.
  • The Longhorns become the Bulls in 1992
  • The Bulls eventually get their own stadium in 1998, now known as RadioShack Stadium (Yes they're based in Fort Worth).

That's it for this post, and C+C, as always, is appreciated. Onto the next! Officially this time!

Edited by BlueMoon18
Fonts used added.
  • Like 2

• BlueMoon18 changed the title to (VIEWER PARTICIPATION REQUIRED!) Into the DFW-Verse! (ReDigitized FWT Bulls/DAL Longhorns up)
4 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

You have cooked here my friend.

Honestly, thank you. I wasn't sure if sand or white would work better for the Bulls. I wanted a color that contrasted with the darker orange and brown, but also not be too light that it wouldn't be an eyesore. I went with sand in the end and I guess it worked brilliantly.