Some help with an old Orioles jersey

robbman21

I bought one of these at an estate sale(my next door neighbor died recently) this afternoon and I want to put Ripken's name and #8 on the back.I can do it myself but I want it done right.I'm just wondering about the name.Is it arched or straight?

Nameplate or sewn directly to the jersey?Solid orange,solid black,or orange with black trim?Is it a true arch or is a Braves-style arch?I know theres a couple of members here that know just about all there is to know about the O's and their jerseys but I'm sure a lot more of you know than that so I need you guy's help on this.Just to note,the jersey is not an M&N,it's a much older style Rawlings from

around the early to mid 80's and it's pullover,but it does have the sewn-on script in near-perfect shape.I believe this was probably the lady's son's jersey though I dunno why it was in the sale.Either way I have it now and any info you guys can pass along will be excellent.I am including these pics as I have no floppy's for my camera to take pics of the actual one.I'm tight on cash but may run to Wal-Mart tommorrow to get some just to show you guys what I got.Thanks in advance!

al_1982_baltimore.gif

mn-or83h-8.jpg

98Falcons.png

Contact Pro-Am Sportswear in Lutherville, MD (proam@erols.com). They can do this for you and do it right. They do sewing for the Orioles and Baysox, and handle all my restoration and customization work. I highly recommend them.

Hey PC...I had gone back and searched the posts for that before I posted but I think he pulled the pdf from download because he made it into a CD to sell....which I still plan on buying because I would like to get into customizing jerseys.Also tpoh THANKS for that info!I knew OF the place you mentioned but

did'nt know the name or exact locale so I had no one to contact.I'll definitely be in touch with them!Thanks!!

98Falcons.png

If it's a 1983 jersey, like the M&N examples posted, it should be a true arch - orange letters outlined in black on a nameplate.

According to your description, this jersey is a pullover. The O's have never worn a white pullover as far as I know. The only pullovers they wore were the orange alternates in the late 70's and 80's. Since going to double-knits in 1971, the O's home jerseys have almost always had orange letters with black outlines. The road jerseys and the alternates have varied.

Thanks for the info that's exactly what I needed to know.The jersey is a pullover and does have a stitched-on Orioles script but it's not authentic,as the polyester fabric seems too lightweight.I had thought the O's wore pullovers around the mid-80's but I'm probably mistaken.I'll try to get some pics of it up this weekend and also later post some "after" pics once the name and number are applied.

98Falcons.png

Archived