No Mo Bowa

DarthMan

Larry Bowa wasdismissed last night...

PHILADELPHIA -- In the end, the Phillies decided they needed a new clubhouse voice, and a new on-field leader.

So, ending months of speculation, the Phillies dismissed manager Larry Bowa, two days before what would have been his fourth full season. General manager Ed Wade made the announcement on Saturday at a 6 p.m. ET press conference.

"I got here [saturday] and had a voicemail message from Larry, asking me to come down and see him," Wade said. "He said he'd begun to get another round of inundation about his job status and said if we'd had gotten to a point [of making a decision], he'd like to hear it sooner rather than later."

"We had a lengthy discussion, and I thought the fairest thing to do was to go ahead and make a move."

Bowa left Citizens Bank Park after being informed of Wade's decision. Bench coach Gary Varsho took over for the last two games of the 2004 season.

Having come to a final decision a few days earlier, Wade stressed the difficulty of letting go one of the organization's most popular players and managers, and someone Wade first met in 1977.

"When I hired Larry Bowa four years ago, he was the absolute right person for this job," Wade said. "This was a difficult decision, but the people in the organization felt that we needed a new voice going forward. I'd also be remiss if I didn't say that the disappointment of the season doesn't rest with one person. Larry, the staff and the players all take responsibility. This shouldn't be construed as finger pointing. I greatly appreciate what Larry's done."

"I want to thank the Phillies organization for the opportunity to manage," Bowa said in a statement. "I wish them the best of luck in the coming years."

It was a sad day for team president Dave Montgomery, who joined the Phillies in 1971, and has known Bowa ever since.

"I've known Larry as a player, coach and manager through my association with the club and as you know he's a maximum effort person who has given his best," Montgomery said. "It's Ed's decision and one that I support. That's the way the process works."

The Phillies' streak of missing the playoffs will reach 11 years when the season ends Sunday, and that ultimately sealed Bowa's fate, despite his team finishing with winning records in three of his four seasons, and nearly making the playoffs in 2001 and 2003.

With a $93-million payroll, new ballpark, and expectations that were higher than ever, the team's on-field performance fell short. Plagued by numerous player injuries, the team fell out of the 2004 playoff chase by late-August.

The Phillies were 337-308 under Bowa, including 85-75 this season. Only four other Phillies managers have winning records since 1920: Danny Ozark (1973-79), Dallas Green (1979-81), Pat Corrales (1982-83) and Paul Owens (1972, 1983-84).

Bowa, 57, was a two-time Gold Glove winner during his 12 seasons as the team's shortstop, including playing on the franchise's only World Series championship team in 1980. He rejoined the organization in 1988 to coach third base for nine years and was part of the Phils' last World Series team in 1993. He left in 1997 to coach in Anaheim and later Seattle, then returned in November 2000 to succeed Terry Francona.

The Bowa years

A look at Larry Bowa's four seasons as the Phillies' skipper.

Year W-L NL East

86-76

Second

80-81

Third

86-76

Third

85-75

Second

In the 2001 season, Bowa's tough and fiery presence produced results, but rubbed many players the wrong way, notably Scott Rolen. Over the next few seasons, players often griped about the negative clubhouse atmosphere, and said it often wore them down over a 162-game season.

After meeting with Bowa on Saturday, Wade spoke to the coaching staff, which will also be evaluated after the season, and the players.

"I spoke to [the players] about the importance for those who are back next year to understand to approach this in a professional manner, and to clearly recognize that we all take responsibility for what's taken place here today," Wade said. "I would certainly hope that the atmosphere we create in Spring Training will allow us to get to our ultimate goal, which is to win a championship. Our goal wasn't to finish second. Our goal wasn't to go through the things that we've gone through this year. Our responsibility is to create a different environment."

The new environment starts now.

"I think there comes a point in time in any managerial situation that it's appropriate to have a different voice, and give someone an opportunity to maybe take a different course with things," Wade said.

Wade said the search for a new manager will be a long one, and will include candidates from inside and outside the organization. He doesn't expect a quick resolution, but he won't stretch it out either, knowing many of team's free agents will want to know who the manager is before deciding where to play.

He said the team would interview candidates with big-league experience, as well as those without it. Some of the reported replacement possibilities include Charlie Manuel, Grady Little, Davey Johnson and Bob Brenly.

Asked who his ideal candidate would be, Wade said, "Someone that can take us to the World Series. We certainly have seen managers with experience who have gotten second chances and performed well, and we've seen some fresh faces come forward and do credible jobs and put championship-caliber clubs on the table."

That's what Wade was hoping for when he gave Bowa his first managing job since May 28, 1988, when he was let go by the Padres. But in time, his abrasive style was too much, despite his repeated attempts to change. He had that perception as a player, and as a manager in both his stops.

"I absolutely think Larry tried to change," said Wade. "I think he did change. He tried to adapt and adjust to different factors to meet the expectations of those who thought he was too tough and too hard.

"Larry will tell you that followed him from his days in San Diego. He had that battle to fight and yes, there were times where players weren't able to adjust to his style. You'll find that with any manager. Even those with the longest tenures run into players they just don't mesh with. Unfortunately in this game there usually is an end."

So... whats YOUR opinion?

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

well its not really a surprise, the playoffs were expected especially because the Braves didn't seem to have a good team this year. Maybe they'll bring in a guy who is a bit more calm in tense situatuions.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Archived