The Goal Posts are Floating

rockchalk

After 11 years, the Kansas Jayhawks don't have to tell the Wildcats to wait for basketball season. Darren Sproles muffed a punt (why would you try to catch a punt over the shoulder???) and was held in check on the ground, while the KU offense did just enough, even running a hook & ladder play (off a WR screen no less) to perfection. Takes over as the most fun and exciting football game I've ever seen in person.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

The world as we know it is coming to an end. K-State lost to KU, Nebraska got beat by 60, and locally, Missouri-Rolla ended a 58-game conference losing streak against the #23 team in Division II.

KU played about as well as they could. In fact, I think they would have taken the Huskers if it was played in Lawrence. Pittsburg native Dylan Meier continues to be overrated by Snyder, and Sproles is having some problems this year holding on to the ball. K-State's problem might be that they recruited a bunch of guys that didn't pan out. The talent level isn't there this season.

That said, YES! It's great to get that monkey off our backs. Poor KSU has nothing to hang their hat on now. However, I don't hate the Cats nearly as much as I do Mizzou, and winning in Columbia seems like it'll be impossible this November.

Oh, and rockchalk, what's the deal with the goalposts coming down? Didn't they install collapsable posts last year after the Mizzou-rah game? I thought this was the type of thing the administration wanted to avoid.

They are the new collapsable ones, but KU took a delay of game penalty with 4 seconds left that stopped the clock and the stands emptied at that point. The North goal posts (furthest from students) were taken down immediately and spared, but the South ones didn't have a chance. The University officials were standing behind them with about 2 minutes to go, ready to take them down, but after the clock stopped, they ran for cover.

This is great news in that it looks like Mizzou will be able to sweep the state of Kansas for the first time in about 15 years. And Lincoln might be looking a bit more hospitable this season too.

All I know is that the Big XII North is wide open this year, for the first time since...ever. After the game against K-State, KU's having to win three more games to get in a bowl doesn't look so tough now. Beat Iowa State in Ames and Colorado at home, and there is actually a very real scenario where the KU-MU game at the end of the season could be for the North title. Really, who saw that coming at the beginning of the year?

From the title of this thread, I thought it was Nickel Beer Night in Kansas.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Colorado's winnable, considering their big win was at Wazzu and their giving up 440 yards a game on defense. Plus, they play A&M and Texas back-to-back before traveling to Lawrence, so they should be pretty demoralized at that point.

However, Missouri's staunch on defense, has a reasonably open offensive scheme that should attack KU's weaknesses just like Texas Tech did, and wants revenge for last season. The only thing the Hawks have going for them is the argument that the Tigers haven't played anyone. We'll know a lot more about Mizzou's chances at the Big 12 North title in four weeks.

Goofier things have happened, and I'm hopeful, but I don't see the Tigers doing worse than two conference losses.

Agh, that hurts to write. I must slip on a Muck Fizzou shirt and watch basketball highlights tonight.

Mizzou last season. The school is panicking, because, while KU doesn't come back home til November, Free State High School plays all of their games at Memorial and has a game either Thursday or Friday night.

Archived