Logo madness: a critique...

Brian in Boston

First of all, eight simultaneous polls is overwhelming. This concept needs to be streamlined... the sooner, the better.

Second, oilfaninvan states that the top 2 vote-getters from each of nine polls, plus 2 wildcards, will advance to the semifinals. Did I miss something? There were only eight polls in the first round... and #8 was named "the final battle of round one". What's up with the math?

Not that we need two 10-team semifinals, mind you. Let's face facts: the second-place teams shouldn't be advancing. Why? Well, there needs to be a consistent rule from poll to poll with regard to qualifying teams for the semifinals. While there were some close battles in the initial round of polls (Jags vs. Sharks, Spurs vs. Flames, Eagles vs. Penguins), there were also some BLOWOUTS. Ask yourself: Does the Blue Bombers' logo deserve to advance when it finishes 13 votes shy of the Seahawks' total? Should the 49ers or Blue Jays - each 9 votes behind the S.F. Giants - move on? I don't think so. Unfortunately, if you advance the second-place teams involved in a close contest, you must advance the second-place teams who have been crushed. IMHO, the reason for conducting a poll is to determine who finishes ON TOP. So advance the first-place teams... PERIOD! And NO wildcards!

Then you move on to a pair of four-team semifinal polls. The top vote-getters in each advance to a one-on-one final. Thus, oilfaninvan determines the top overall logo in the minds of those on the Board... in a CONCISE manner.

Also, Chris' shutting down some of the polls was a good idea, but what criteria did he use in doing so? Logo Madness, Logo Madness #2 and Logo Madness # 3 have been up the longest... and they remain open. Polls that were posted AFTER those three have already been closed. That struck me as odd.

Brian in Boston

Posted: July 14 2003,12:08    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I closed a bunch of the polls today, I tried to only close the polls from non-active rounds... If I knocked off active rounds, or missed any non-active rounds please let me know ASAP

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

oilfaninvan... I'm torn here. Initially, I would have said, "No big deal," with regard to the multiple polls and the lack of attention to detail on the "math". However, when you respond with your "dudes i honestly don't care" attitude... well, I get a little ticked off. Maybe I'm being naive here, but I believe that we owe each other the common decency on this site to look out for each other... everything from appropriate language to respecting each others' TIME. My comments were only meant as constructive. Personally, I love this sort of poll. However, let's conduct it in an efficient manner, okay.

Brian in Boston

Archived