NFL Midseasen Review

Saint Zephyr III

As we head to Week 9, essentially the middle-point of the season, and look back at what has occured so far. The fiasco of Minnesota, the heartbreakers of San Diego, the season from hell for the Saints, the return of the Giants, T.O. STILL being a nuisance, among other hot stories. As such, here you can discuss what you think of the teams, the best games, your midseason awards, what you expect to come about, and of course your playoff picture. For me, I'll start with the AFC...a tad bit better to figure out.

AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers (5-2): The only negative effect that Big Ben has had on the team in his sophomore year is simply not being there. The running game, while not flashing, is a force to be dealt with and their defense is marvelous. And Ben has not yet entered into a true sophomoric funk yet, with the highest rating in the conference. Yet will his injuries affect the Steelers crown struggle with the Bengals? We'll see.

Cinncinati Bengals (6-2): Even if they don't get the AFC North title, the fact that they are still growing is downright frightening. Palmer, other than that Pittsburgh game, is a legitimate MVP candidate, yet in no small part is helped by the two Johnsons and Houshmandzedah. As well, the secondary is becoming one of the most exciting backfields in the league. Their youth will stop them from the division title, yet a wild card spot and an end to 14 years of the season ending with the new year will be over.

Baltimore Ravens (2-5): This is a franchise that is on the verge of imploding. The offense is non-existent, Lewis is still adjusting to regular life. These sturggles are finally taking its toll on the legendary defense, leading to exhaustion and flat-out frustration. I know the Ravens will still end up on a somewhat good note, meaning more than .250. But for now, the team is a frieght train on fire.

Cleveland Browns (2-5): Despite the record, there is still some optimism. The reality of their true strength has been exposed (sorry Dilfer-for-Pro Bowl campaigners), yet Crennel will only bring positive things to the team over the years. We'll see.

AFC East

New England Patriots (4-3): Ah, the Patriots, the Glory Days seem so far away. However, the team still remains one of the msot resilient teams you can find. Yet I think the true fate of the Patriots will be decided this Monday nigt against Indianapolis. With the surprisingly low standard of the division, the Patriots should still come out on top.

Miami Dolphins (3-4): Wow, Saban really is going to be something great. While I still find Ricky just hysterical to even look at, he is now a part of a tandem with Ronnie Brown that has a load of potential. The Patriots are wise to watch out for the Dolphins.

Buffalo Bills (3-5): Good news: Willis McGahee continues to be an outstanding running back. Bad news: the rest of the team can't keep up. By losing to Miami and New England, the team lost an oppurtunity to pounce on a rather weak division. And I don't think the team will go on a late season surge...so better luck next year?

New York Jets (2-5): I knew this would happen. When the world's largest city rebels against you, even if it meant the Olympics, the bad luck would follow through. It did just that, and it is paying the price. What the Jets need to do is get them a quarterback, a young one, that won't just putter out playoff chances every other year.

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts (7-0): The best team in the league, and they have just been dormant. The best defense in the league and an offense that is bound to explode, the Colts is everyone's worst nightmare. Though we'll see if the dream is reality come Monday Night...it all boils down to that game against the Patriots.

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-3): Despite that rather odd game against the Rams, the Jaguars have been quite the team, with a player potentially as tough as Favre, a healthy running game, and a solid defense is helping them into the conference elite. In fact, the team could easily be 9-3 by the time they face Indy. In fact, they could be 12-4 at the very least.

Tennessee Titans (2-5): They're fighters and young and restless...something good for the future, yet not so well in the present. Their best acquisition of the offseason, Travis Henry, ends up suspended for four games, the defense is one of the worst in the laegue, McNair is aching badly...so for now, Fisher and Norm Chow can at least hope for an alumni from USC to help with their future.

Houston Texans (1-6): And the offensive line at times is still underrated...it is because of this that the whole team is struggling. David Carr can't do jack if he's sacked an average of five times a game. And fortunately, they finally won a game, yet that may end up being rare for this poor franchise.

AFC West

Denver Broncos (6-2): To tell you the truth, I predicted Denver to bomb this year, badly. A maximum of five wins this season...and they've already passed it by one game. Everything that should be working in Denver is working: the defensive line is fantastic, the secondary is a formidable presence, the running tandem is the best in the league, and Jake Plummer, with that wonderful mustache, is barely making any mistakes. Things are only going to get higher in Mile High.

Kansas City Chiefs (4-3): I don't know what to think of K.C. Are they for real, or are they tricking me? Is their offense really solid and good, or just throwing me for a loop? Is their defense slowly improving or just the same old, same old? Honestly, I don't know what they'll do for the rest of the season. They could end up in the playoffs, barely miss it, or even end up at the bottom of this division.

San Diego Chargers (4-4): This team could easily be 8-0...consider that for a moment. When this team is good, it could arguably be the best team in the league. When it loses, it strikes a nerve that just throws you for a loop. And things don't get any easier as their final three games will be against Indy, Denver, and K.C. This team may not end up in the playoffs, but they would still be one of the elite teams in the NFL.

Oakland Raiders (3-4): Who said Moss was key to their success? While the knucklehead has helped out the Raiders, it's other offensive elements that is making Oakland one of the more formidable opponents in the league. Their first three losses, against possible playoff teams no less, were closer than a touchdown. While I don't expect this team to win alot of games, they'll fight you to the death either way.

And that's it for the AFC. Tomorrow, the NFC, Awards, Playoff Standings, and more! Though don't let me be the lone speaker...express what you think of the teams and how it will turn out in the end of the season.

GR30a5H.png

Archived