ISU Helmets

yh

No this is not a post about Iowa State's short lived, mid-80's tradition of utilizing both red and yellow helmets in the same game (seniors wore a different color than the underclassmen, I believe). This is a post regarding the fact that ISU's "standard" helmets are metallic red and their Riddell Revolution helmets are slightly lighter and non-metallic red. I can't imagine that Riddell wouldn't be able to manufacture a helmet to the exact specs of one of its collegiate clients, so I have to ask whether anyone knows why this is happening and whether there are other programs out there which have the same situation.

I didn't watch the ISU game, but I can't imagine that Riddell couldn't put the same color on a Revolution helmet that they put on a VSR-4 helmet or that Schutt could put on one of their models. Maybe ISU's reconditioner doesn't do Revolutions and they have to send them somewhere else?

The only other mixed colors I can remember was back in the first season or two that Oklahoma use the metallic red helmets - they had a couple of linemen who wore the Bike/Adams helmet, and their helmets were the old non-metallic red.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for but Bowling Green currently seems to have two minutely different colors of helmets. There are some older ones that seem almost watermelon pink compared to the newer brighter orange helmets. Here are pics of the two shades:

ORANGE:

43630065.jpg

LIGHTER ORANGE:

43630060.jpg

Of course, as with most of the crap on these boards, only the trained eye will really notice the difference in person. . .

fade.gif

I can understand that. It's hard to tell from most TV vantage points unless there's a closeup of each style of helmet together. I sit 6 rows behind the visitor's bench at Mizzou games and saw the helmets from less than 20 feet away when the Tigers hosted the Cyclones last month. All of the revolution helmets were the brighter, non-metallic red. It's especially telling in natural sunlight.

Archived