The Gimp

BCBoy

I have recently come across a program that is said to be much like Photoshop, called the Gimp. I am starting to learn how to use it but haven't tried making any concepts with it.

I was wondering if anybody here uses this program. If so...

Any tips? Is it worth using to produce concepts?

Thanks

(Not quite sure if this is in the right forum, move it if neccesary)

Well, you can't beat the price! :D

Seriously, from what I know about it, it is quite comparable to Photoshop, employing all the typical concepts (layering, photoshop filters, tonal/color adjustments, masking etc.). The only thing it is missing is true CMYK support, which means you can't rely on it for professional printing. However, for web development and digital art, it stands up well. I think we discussed it a little in the general design thread, and there was even a link to an add-on program you can use to make the interface match photoshop's. That said, I haven't used either it or Photoshop (I have Corel), and don't have a preference. You be the judge!

Note though, that this is a raster program. We aren't comparing it to Adobe Illustrator, which is the concept program of choice.

LT

I used GIMP for a number of projects in the absence of Photoshop -- and its a very capable program. I even found it superior to photoshop in some respects. Most importantly, you can learn GIMP and then apply it to photoshop because they're similar enough, so its not time wasted in the long run.

Archived