Question about recoloring photos

Ben5

After seeing all the wonder photo edits in the University challenge thread, I was wondering how they changed the colors. I have photoshop, and I seen it done on there before, but I can't seem to figure it out for myself. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

In a nut shell it's all about layers, or at least that's how i did it.

First, I made an outline of the area that I wanted to recolor. From there it's matter of tickering with colors and transparency. Sometimes you'll have to stack layers in order to get the right color and still keep the detail from the orginal photo. For example, I had to use a black and then a blue layer to get the dark blue I wanted.

The final step is you have "dirty-up" what you've added. This depends on the photo you are editing. Most of the time, the computer graphics are way to clean compared to the rest of the photo. I would say this step this the most important because if you do it right, it will blend all the elements together and make it believible.

This can be done with yet another layer that is very transparent (again, this depends on the orginal photo) and has an artistic effect like film grain or whatever seems to work best.

I hope this answers your question.

If I have time, I can post step-by-step pics.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived