Japan Defeats Cuba 10-6 To Win WBC!

KennyRock

tank and jkr are gonna hate this tournament no matter how they run it, but I dont see why interrupting Spring Training games is a problem...

I don't know why you think I hate this tournament I don't. And I have said that many times. I was excited about it when first announced. Something happened that diminished my enthusiasm and thought going into this that it would be a disaster. It wasn't and I got into the tournament. I never hated this tournament; yes I was a bit pessimistic however I never hated this tournament. I think it turned out to be a success and the next time will be better.

I do think late February would be a better time and there are numerous reasons as I have stated before.

My point about spring training is valid. Spring Training baseball is entirely different from preseason Football, Basketball, and Hockey. This has a lot to do with it being in Florida and Arizona during a time when it is still cold in most of the US and Canada. People take vacations do go down and see spring training. Spring Training is an important part of the economy for the towns that host Spring Training sites. For the most part these aren't big cities. With all the other sports this dynamic doesn't exist because exhibition games take place in that teams city.

Now if that was the only reason to hold the tournament in February instead of March it would be a somewhat weak argument. But it is only 1 reason; the major reason is the Tournament would have a higher profile.

February is sort of a low point for sports, it is the period between the Super Bowl and NCAA tournament. Placing the tournament in late February makes the WBC the big sporting event. In March it competes with the NCAA tournament. In February it is warm enough to hold games in the southern US and in dome Stadiums.

Archived