Uni Unis

MrAsterisk

Hello!

I stumbled upon this forum earlier today. My high school, the lab school for the University of Illinois (often called "Uni"), is looking for new basketball uniforms. While I'm quite sure that the uniform style will be chosen from SpeedLine Athletic's catalog, I decided to draw up a couple designs of my own. They're all hand-drawn, since I'm not yet comfortable with my skills on digital vector-based software. They're also in grayscale, but each has its own color key.

First, here's a decent photo showing our uniforms from the past few years from the front and side:

01b5c74d.jpg

Due to our affiliations with the Illini (or at least the University that sponsors them), our colors are royal blue and orange. Again, my concepts toy with this a bit, but aren't intended for use. The uniform pictured is SpeedLine's "Cinncinatti" model.

Now, for the first of my two:

ec8bbb3a.jpg

This look would prbably be closest to what we'll actually have next season.

And the second:

091ecb3a.jpg

This is a classic, sloped-script look that one of the players suggested. The head coach really likes black and blue, so I thought I'd use those colors for this one, although I was originally thinking of white and orange or red.

In both cases, a slash between letters denotes "home / away". For the second uniform, the dotted lines on the side represent an asymetric design that is different on the opposite side.

Again, not looking to ever see these on the court, just looking for some feedback from more experienced designers. :)

While I don't have any major comments about the designs (although the Uni on the front of the second one could make people think you're from the University of Northern Iowa) there are a few rules that have to be followed.

This page for Ohio lists a few of them, including restrictions on side inserts, etc. For the sake of your second one, the rising script might not be legal, and although it doesn't say so specifically, the lines through the number might be a problem as well. Granted, some of this is specifically Ohio, but most of them are close to what the national rules are (sadly, the NFHS rules aren't on the Web without signing up for membership).

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I really like the rising script, just change it to say "University" "or "Illinois" inside the double lines.

I think U of I itself needs new uniforms. They should be using italic block for the script and numbers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived