Sox P tries to hit Ranger, and can't..

brinkeguthrie

Hitting a player is part of the game. Yes it is.

No, really, it is.

Want me to prove it? OK, look at the rule book,  6.08 details over 5 paragraphs how and when a player may take first base when hit by a pitch. It is in the rule book, thereby part of the game. Hitting a batter intentionally is simply a strategy, such as a punter running out the back of the end zone, rather than punting. It is the same intimidation factor as a defensement delivering a big check to a foward early in a hockey game. Its strategy, part of the game, and within the rules.

Now, lets get to the actual incident we are discussing, since the merits of hitting a batter intentionally weren't the topic here.

A player did not do what his coach told him to do...

Who's to say he didn't try to do what the coach told him to do. Consider the fact that Tracy has had problems in the majors and AAA with his control, Is it not within the realm of possibility that he tried to his Blaylock, yet missed?

Oh, and to call your bluff, MLB Rule 6.08 does not detail "how and when a player may take first base when hit by a pitch" over 5 paragraphs. HBP is only covered in 6.08(B). And none of that covers hitting something in retaliation for a player on your team getting hit, and 6.08(B) takes more space in detailing when a batter does not take his base after being hit, which is somehow forgotten by umpires the world over. glare.gif For the record, here's 6.08(B)

(B) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;v If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I love seeing folks bemoaning soccer for being boring and non-contact, but when the ONE physical contact in the boring ass game of baseball comes up, they get all pussified and cry. Hitting a player is part of the game. Yes it is.

No, really, it is.

Want me to prove it? OK, look at the rule book, 6.08 details over 5 paragraphs how and when a player may take first base when hit by a pitch. It is in the rule book, thereby part of the game. Hitting a batter intentionally is simply a strategy, such as a punter running out the back of the end zone, rather than punting. It is the same intimidation factor as a defensement delivering a big check to a foward early in a hockey game. Its strategy, part of the game, and within the rules.

I don't know about that. Now is pitching inside is a part of the game? Absolutely. You need to keep guys like Jeter and Bonds off the plate if they're crowding it, and maybe you need a few close pitches to keep them honest. If you drill them, so be it, they had it coming for hanging out of the box. Stuff like that is fine, that's strategic. If the pitcher himself is up to bat and has already plunked some guys, he'd better watch out. But I can't endorse beaning a player who did nothing at all. That's a cheap dirty play. The only strategy involved with hitting Blalock for Padilla's sins is that you'll injure him badly enough to remove him from the game, which would mean you'll have injured him pretty severely. What you don't mention when you quote the rulebook is that intentionally throwing at a pitcher is a serious offense, and is not within the rules at all. You can't successfully defend Ozzie Guillen on this one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived