2 Problems With Major League Baseball

fonz

Would it have been the worst idea to play an interleague game every day? Why not just distribute interleague play over the course of a season, rather than lumping it all together within a strict set of dates? Hell, if they bothered to introduce interleague play in the first place, they should have run with the concept, and made it equivalent to interconference play in the other sports. Go figure.

Yeah, no kidding. Does a Braves-Yankees matchup mean any more/less if it's played in April or September, instead of June?

If there was relegation teams wouldn't be relegated to PCL or IL. THat makes no sense because teams in those league would be minor leagues with major league affliates. You could have a situation where an organization plays against it's affiliate.

If there was relegation one league would be the top league and the other would be the bottom league with the PCL and IL being below that. For example the AL would be the top league and the NL would be the bottom league. Teams would be promoted and relegated between those 2 leagues not down to the current minor league.

Anyways that will never happen as it would never work in NA. A relegation system would spell the death of the teams automatically placed in the lower division.

Running with the idea of promotion and relegation that's been mentioned on a couple of threads here, I figured out the following scenarios that would have happened over the past four seasons. Now, I know it would never work because one team would have its AAA team in the majors for a year or more, and vice versa, but since we're speculating here, I figure it's okay to look past that.

Pretty much, I decided that one team from each conference would be sent down and one promoted. The National League teams would be demoted to the Pacific Coast League, mostly because the league has 11 of 16 NL affiliates, while the American and International Leagues would have an exchange. Also, because we can't predict how well or how poorly a team would have done against a higher or lower level of competition, I did this all out independently.

Should anyone feel like taking it upon themselves to go back further a couple of years, be my guest. Enjoy!

2002:

Sent Down: NL - Milwaukee Brewers (56-106), AL - Detroit Tigers (55-106)

Brought Up: PCL - Las Vegas 51s (85-59), IL - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons (91-53)

*NOTE: Detroit and Tampa Bay had same record; Detroit relegated due to losing head-to-head tiebreaker, 4-2.

2003:

Sent Down: NL - San Diego Padres (64-98), AL - Detroit Tigers (43-119)

Brought Up: PCL - Sacramento Rivercats (92-52), IL - Pawtucket Red Sox (83-61)

2004:

Sent Down: NL - Arizona Diamondbacks (51-111), AL - Kansas City Royals (58-104)

Brought Up: PCL - Portland Beavers (82-60), IL - Buffalo Bisons (82-61)

2005:

Sent Down: NL - Pittsburgh Pirates (67-95), AL - Kansas City Royals (56-106)

Brought Up: PCL - Oklahoma Redhawks (80-63), IL - Toledo Mud Hens (89-55)

*NOTE: Pittsburgh and Colorado had same record; Pittsburgh relegated due to losing head-to-head tiebreaker, 6-4.

And thats why Relegation does not make sense

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

There is no way relegation would work in MLB. These minor league roster's players are property of the major league clubs. These owners wouldn't be pleased if their property is making money for another market.

Relegation can't happen without a whole lot of expansion, and the MLB talent pool is already a bit thin.

Archived