SF Chronicle reporters sentenced to jail

BloodAtFirstBite

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my tone is colored more by being a journalism student currently taking a class on journalistic ethics.

The question remains...

Would you be cool with that?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

my tone is colored more by being a journalism student currently taking a class on journalistic ethics.

Then ask yourself if what they did is ethical.

I'm not saying that they should give up their sources. Obviously, they can't or their careers are over, but since they are obstructing the grand jury leaks investigation they deserve the same fate as someone like Greg Anderson in the Barry Bonds perjury investigation.

It's not about if what they're doing is for the greater good or not,

Their pledge to protect their sources does not trump the Grand Jury process, sorry. I know you have a pro-journalist slant, and that's fine, but still...it's not always the crime (the leaking) is the cover-up...like it or not, Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada are assisting in covering up this leak and deserve to be punished according to the law. It's not like they are being flogged or drawn and quartered or anything.

Additionally, reporters being jailed for contempt of court is not a new thing.

No matter what happens, a great deal of people are going to cry foul, and I honestly don't think that either side will be wrong. Journalists SHOULD be able to "do their jobs" (to a point) without fear of being make to reveal their sources. However, Grand Jury testimony that is sealed should ALWAYS remain confidential. I hate these double edged swords!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived