Two articles on sports marketing

DrBear

Popularity of Packers merchandise transcends Favre.

Team officials believe the Packers will still be among top jersey, etc., sellers even after Favre retires, although he's been the big push so far. (Which is true if you go to a game in Green Bay; almost half of the jerseys are No. 4.)

Sports merchandising took off at same time as Favre.

No. 4's arrival coincided with the real start of sales of replica jerseys; you really didn't see that many before 1992.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Sports merchandising took off at same time as Favre.

No. 4's arrival coincided with the real start of sales of replica jerseys; you really didn't see that many before 1992.

This article is interesting because it touches upon something that I've always found interesting: the advent of the replica jersey. Because if you look back at the 1980s and prior, there weren't really much replica jerseys out there.

In Green Bay, success came with the arrival of Favre in 1992, so the replica jersey craze started earlier there than it did here in New England, where we were still the NFL's doormat.

As a Patriots fan, I would've LOVED there to have been a Michael Timpson replica Patriots jersey in 1994 when he caught 74 balls and as their top wideout that year. The only replica Pats jerseys available at that time were Drew Bledsoe, Ben Coates, and, if you were lucky to find one, Vincent Brown.

The following year, 1995, they added MANY more players: Dave Meggett, Ty Law, Curtis Martin, Chris Slade, Willie McGinest, Bruce Armstong (a left tackle, for crying out loud!) and Vincent Brisby. Had Timpson stayed in NE for the '95 season, I'm sure they would've produced one of his, but I guess I just missed out.

Anyway, I always wondered "what if?" when it came to the popularity of Patriots replica jerseys. If they were as popular today as they were back in the day, specifically between 1989 and 1994, before the Patriots became a respectable team, one can only wonder what gems might have been available. I would have loved to seen the replica jerseys of the Pats 5-receiver group that were the first to achieve at least 50 receptions each in a season (Coates, Timpson, Kevin Turner, Leroy Thompson and Vincent Brisby).

(sigh)

Archived