ZITO to the Giants

rc49ers

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants' rotation just got better.

Left-handed pitcher Barry Zito has agreed to a seven-year, $126 million contract, according to The Associated Press and an MLB.com source.

Zito, 28, who has starred for the Oakland A's the past seven seasons, was the most highly-prized free agent hurler, being wooed by the New York Mets, Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers, but the long-time San Francisco resident decided to literally stay home.

Zito's agreement, reached late Wednesday night, includes an $18 million option for 2014 with a $7 million buyout that could increase the value to $137 million. The option would become guaranteed if Zito pitches 200 innings in 2013, 400 combined over 2012 and 2013 or 600 combined from 2011-13.

Zito's deal ties for the sixth largest overall, matching the $126 million, seven-year extension agreed to this month by Toronto and center fielder Vernon Wells. Previously, the largest contract for a pitcher was Mike Hampton's $121 million, eight-year deal with the Colorado Rockies before the 2001 season.

Zito is scheduled to have a physical on Friday, and the Giants planned to announce their agreement with the three-time All-Star later in the day. A Giants spokesman could not confirm the signing.

The Mets capped their offer at five years, $75 milllion, and the Rangers offered Zito a six-year, $84 million contract. They also added a vesting option for $15 million for a seventh year with a $4 million buyout. The option would have kicked in if Zito pitched 200 innings in the sixth year of the contract.

"I enjoyed getting to know Barry," said Rangers owner Tom Hicks. "I think highly of him as a player and as a person. I wish him well with his new team. I am glad he is not pitching with one of our division opponents. I am comfortable that we made a very strong offer."

MONEYBALL

Fourteen players in baseball history have received contracts worth more than $100 million.

Player Club Years Total

Alex Rodriguez TEX-NYY 2001-10 $252M

Derek Jeter NYY 2001-10 $189M

Manny Ramirez BOS 2001-08 $160M

Todd Helton COL 2003-11 $141.5M

Alfonso Soriano CHC 2007-14 $136M

Vernon Wells TOR 2008-14 $126M

Barry Zito SF 2007-13 $126M

Mike Hampton COL-ATL 2001-08 $121M

Jason Giambi NYY 2002-08 $120M

Carlos Beltran NYM 2005-11 $119M

Ken Griffey Jr. CIN 2000-08 $116.5M

Kevin Brown LAD-NYY 1999-05 $105M

Albert Pujols STL 2004-10 $100M

Carlos Lee HOU 2007-12 $100M

Zito had a 16-10 mark and 3.83 ERA last year for Oakland and is 102-63 with a 3.55 ERA lifetime. He earned $7.9 million in 2006.

The 2002 AL Cy Young Award winner, Zito has been among the most durable pitchers in the Majors, making 34 or more starts while pitching in 210 or more innings in six straight seasons. He has never missed a start.

As part of his agreement with the Giants, Zito will fund the construction of youth fields in the San Francisco area through his foundation.

Only Alex Rodriguez ($252 million), Derek Jeter ($189 million), Manny Ramirez ($160 million), Todd Helton ($141.5 million) and Alfonso Soriano ($136 million) have contracts with more guaranteed money.

Ironically, all three pitchers to sign $100 million deals -- Zito, Hampton and Kevin Brown -- signed with NL West teams. Brown became baseball's first $100 million man when he signed with the Dodgers prior to 1999.

Zito's is the 14th $100 million deal in baseball history and the fourth of the offseason following agreements by Soriano (Cubs), Wells and Carlos Lee ($100 million with Houston).

San Francisco was in dire need of a veteran starter after long-time ace Jason Schmidt signed with the archrival Los Angeles Dodgers.

Rich Draper is a reporter for MLB.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

fluff THE DODGERS

GO GIANTS

I BLEED ORANGE AND BLACK

fluff THE COWBOYS AND RAIDERS

GO 49ERS

fluff CAL BEARS

GO STANFORD

Zito can't play for the Giants... he's under 35!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived