Luongo threatens retirement

Milo Meningocele

Personally, I was extremely disappointed in Luongo's comments. He's such a competitor that I expect better than a petulant "I'm going to quit if they make the nets bigger" comment. Its a childish, absurd thing to say. He'd still be one of the top five goalies in the world, and still be making over six million dollars a year to play a game. No one wants to hear this kind of crap come out of a player's mouth.

Now, I don't think the nets should be made bigger, but I'd like to see the goalie equipment further reduced in size.

a pitcher can adjust to a smaller strike zone, a goalie cant grow longer arms to make glove saves with a bigger net, a bigger net puts him and all other goalies at a physical disadvantage. the biggest example of this happening in another league is when they moved the field goal posts to the back of the endzone instead of the front (cant remember the year). this just forced the offense to play differently, theres no real way for goalies to adjust to bigger nets, so i dont blame him for retiring if they do that.

You didn't see a bunch of pitchers quitting when they lowered the mound, plugged in the DH or juiced the balls.

If they made home plate smaller alot of them would quit.

No way. It may sway a few aging pitchers toward retirement, but it wouldn't cause people to quit en masse. Unfortunately, rules are often tweaked in every sport to benefit offense; but guys don't pass up zillions of dollars, fame and a chance to play a game for a living because of these changes. Like I said before, the numbers will inflate, but perceptions of what are considered good statistics will change along with them.

I'd kinda like to see hockey games with "baseball scores"

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

They need to trim down the goaltending equipment some more by limiting the height of the leg pad and height of the chest protectors. To me the tall leg pads are the biggest problem as a goalie can just drop into the butterfly and cover the 5 hole with the pads. Reducing the height of the pads won't put them in harms way. Look at a goalie like Marty Broduer who wears probably the smallest pads in the league. He plays 70+ games a year and is hardly injured. Plus he is still able to stop the puck effectively. Just take a look of this picture of Broduer from earlier this week and compare to other goaltender and the different in pad size. This is the size the pads should be.

fullj.getty-76956126ms010_new_jersey_de.jpg

But even if Brodeur's pads are the smallest among NHL netminders, they're still noticeably bigger than what goalies were wearing only 15-20 years ago. This would be like 1st basemen wearing mitts twice as long and wide as players wore a generation ago. Everyone's equipment is too big; some goalies are just more flagrant about it.

As for Luongo being a little prima donna... we'll go call the WAAAA!mbulance for you, Bobby. Good Lord - you're 6'3", your pads are gigantic, and you're worried about giving shooters a fighting chance?

I'd kinda like to see hockey games with "baseball scores"

Junior... 1-0 IS a baseball score. A well-pitched pitcher's duel. So is 11-10, a slugfest.

What exactly is your point?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived