Possibly dumb question, but...

ShinyHubCaps

Are there two sets of awards? MLB.com has a feature on the Charleston Legacy Award. Included is a reference to the Larry Doby Rookie of the Year Awards for both leagues. Is this different from the Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year award? How?

Do these normally coincide well, i.e. the same people win both awards?

And if they are different, when do the real awards come out?

I'm so confused. I was more confused when I saw Tulowitzki instead of Braun by the Rookie of the Year posting.

Are there two sets of awards? MLB.com has a feature on the Charleston Legacy Award. Included is a reference to the Larry Doby Rookie of the Year Awards for both leagues. Is this different from the Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year award? How?

Do these normally coincide well, i.e. the same people win both awards?

And if they are different, when do the real awards come out?

I'm so confused. I was more confused when I saw Tulowitzki instead of Braun by the Rookie of the Year posting.

They have an AL and an NL set, if that's what you're wondering.

Tulowitzki should be the ROTY over Braun, by the way. You confusion might stem from Braun's offensive numbers and it looking like he should run away with the award, but Tulowitzki is going to the gold glover at a skill position, and easily the best defensive SS in the league this year while Braun is an, at best, average 3B.

IUe6Hvh.png

Someone who clearly misses the question posed in my post shouldn't have an opinion on the rookie of the year.

It was not the difference between AL and NL, it's the difference between the Larry Doby Rookie of the Year Award, posted at MLB.com, and the Jackie Robinson Award. MLB.com posted all of these end-of-season awards, but they were not by the names by which I know some of them. It was on the front page of MLB.com but it isn't anymore. Rollins and Rodriguez won the Charleston Legacy Awards for MVP. What is that?

Also take Braun's numbers and Tulowitzki's numbers and divide them by how many games they've played. Then you'll see why.

Someone who clearly misses the question posed in my post shouldn't have an opinion on the rookie of the year.

It was not the difference between AL and NL, it's the difference between the Larry Doby Rookie of the Year Award, posted at MLB.com, and the Jackie Robinson Award. MLB.com posted all of these end-of-season awards, but they were not by the names by which I know some of them. It was on the front page of MLB.com but it isn't anymore. Rollins and Rodriguez won the Charleston Legacy Awards for MVP. What is that?

Also take Braun's numbers and Tulowitzki's numbers and divide them by how many games they've played. Then you'll see why.

I missed what you were saying initially and I apologize for that but I'll defend the fact that Troy Tulowitzki is the Rookie of the Year. Is there not something to be said about easily being the worst fielder in the League at a non-skill position compared to being easily the best in the league at a middle-infield spot? The offensive numbers are nice, and telling as to how good Braun is offensively, but defense is half the game -- one excels, the other is awful. Braun's defense is as bad as his offense is good. Consider this... take that number of games that Braun's played in that you told me to consider, and then consider the fact that he led all 3B in errors.

I'm pretty sure the Larry Doby Rookie of the Year award is awarded by the Negro League hall of fame.

IUe6Hvh.png

Is the other one (Jackie Robinson) voted on by the Associated Press? When does that come out?

I agree that Tulowitzki has better defense, but I think that the curve toward AP voting and all-around award voting seems to tend toward teams that make the playoffs or have good end-of-the-year runs. From someone who has watched a great number of Brewer games this year, Ryan Braun is not the best defender, but he's not the worst. And he'll get better, that's for certain. It's also worth noting that he compromises part of the young, yet above .500 and playoff-contending Brewers team, and he has almost been thrust into being the leader of the team, and yet he did a good job with that.

I know Tulowitzki's good, but I don't want the voters to see that the Rockies have won 13 out of their last 14 in the regular season, 18 of 19 including postseason, and associate that with only Tulowitzki.

But anyway, my point was in the differences in these sets of awards. So Rollins won the Legacy Award MVP, so he's a lock for the Kenesaw Mountain Landis National League MVP award?

Is the other one (Jackie Robinson) voted on by the Associated Press? When does that come out?

I agree that Tulowitzki has better defense, but I think that the curve toward AP voting and all-around award voting seems to tend toward teams that make the playoffs or have good end-of-the-year runs. From someone who has watched a great number of Brewer games this year, Ryan Braun is not the best defender, but he's not the worst. And he'll get better, that's for certain. It's also worth noting that he compromises part of the young, yet above .500 and playoff-contending Brewers team, and he has almost been thrust into being the leader of the team, and yet he did a good job with that.

I know Tulowitzki's good, but I don't want the voters to see that the Rockies have won 13 out of their last 14 in the regular season, 18 of 19 including postseason, and associate that with only Tulowitzki.

But anyway, my point was in the differences in these sets of awards. So Rollins won the Legacy Award MVP, so he's a lock for the Kenesaw Mountain Landis National League MVP award?

Baseball Writers Association of America are the ones who award the MVP, Rookie of the Year, Manager of the Year, and Cy Young trophy's. I believe the Legacy award is also awarded by the Negro Baseball league museum. The difference being, presumably, that one is recognized by the MLB as being the official one.

The award really could go either way... if I was a betting man, which I am, but not on MLB awards, my money would be on Tulo. By the way, if Rollins beats out Holiday for the MVP, it'd be so wrong not to give Tulo the ROTY because all Rollins has on Holiday is defense.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived