Can you use team fonts legally?

bornintoit

Can you legally use something similar to a team's font if you only use the city name?

Such as "BOSTON" in a similar font style as the Red Sox but just writing Boston and not "Red Sox"

I see T-Shirts at convenience stores and mall stands all over the place with designs like this so I'm assuming you can.

I would think if you made something in a team font, representing the team name, you'd be aligning your design with their intellectual property.

Let's face it, everyone knows what the Boston Red Sox font looks like, and that it is associated with the club.

However, if you were to just uise the font, or use thefontfor some sort of parody, then it's probably OK.

EG

"Boston Red Sox World Champions", or even just "Boston" T-Shirts in a team font would be illegal.

Your own team in the same font would probably be OK

Offensive Boston comment, with Boston in the same font would probably be OK too.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

You bring up a really interesting question, rmered. Where is the line between parody and copyright infringement?

I guess when it's not being serious.

Boston Dead Sox. or any other similar derogatory term, no matter how offensive, on a scale of Not to Very, would probably get away with it because it was a parody on the Boston name.

However, to write Boston in the Red Sox font is, while only a city name, probably still subject copyright given the font is the method used to attach the city name to the team.

Let's face it, the word Boston might mean anything.

This, however, is the Boston Red Sox Baseball Club.

Boston.gif

And finally, I reckon you'd get away with this:

Boston2.gif

Because without reference to the Boston Red Sox, this point is mute, the font identifies it as the Red Sox, the rest of the 'design' is the overall statement being made.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived