1934 NHL All Star Game

beesharps

I have a query?.. Below is an image (a poor quality scan from a hockey book I have) of a team photo from the 1934 NHL All Star Game.

1934allstargame.jpg

It was a benefit game played between the Toronto Maple Leafs and an NHL All Star team for the benefit of the Leaf?s player Ace Bailey. The photo is a neat snapshot of what each team was wearing during the 1933-34 season ? but look! Both Allan Shields and Frank Finnegan of the Ottawa Senators (standing in the back row on either side of the referee) are not wearing Ottawa jerseys (and are, in fact, even wearing different jerseys from each other), while the two Red Wings in the game, Larry Aurie (second from the left, front row) and Herbie Lewis (far right, first row) are wearing strange looking logo-less jerseys with matching socks. What gives with that? What makes this picture even more odd is that the NHL team wore this jersey during the actual game :

AuctionWatch08-22-2000-11-31-50Image1.GIF

Does anyone know the story behind this?

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

Well... could be something like they weren't allowed to take their sweaters with them and had to wear some generic ones they found in the arena...

And is it just me, or does it look like that NHL Game jersey has a 'Jude' patch on it... cough...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I've always wondered about that photo too. There's a lot of NHL photo's like that from the early days though. There's many examples where players on the same team are wearing older uniforms or practice gear that doesn't match the rest of the club. My guess is that the players involved didn't bring their uniforms so someone lent them something else. I doubt they're anything undiscovered in the NHL, but those Wing players do suspiciously look to be wearing Quaker's socks.....

DEATH TO REEBOK

I've always wondered about that photo too. There's a lot of NHL photo's like that from the early days though. There's many examples where players on the same team are wearing older uniforms or practice gear that doesn't match the rest of the club. My guess is that the players involved didn't bring their uniforms so someone lent them something else. I doubt they're anything undiscovered in the NHL, but those Wing players do suspiciously look to be wearing Quaker's socks.....

I thought they looked like Quakers socks, too, but, of course, the Quakers were gone three years prior. Not a day went by that those players didn't think of them, though....

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

Archived