Mataderos Fantasy Football Logo

bravosixninerdelta

I finished this design for a fantasy football league owner a few months ago, and I've been really pleased with how it turned out. The design was very well received. The client specified the colors (Atlanta Falcons palette) and gave a brief description of what he wanted, and used the University of Buffalo Bulls logo as a starting point. I'm sharing it because some here may enjoy seeing it.

Irun Mataderos

2067982549_0d428a2ca6_o.jpg

The matador's right shoulder is a little wonky, but other than that, it's great. May not want to show it to PETA, though.

Thanks. The exposed part of the upper arm is his tricep, while his deltoid is actually hidden behind the shoulder pad. I think the curves on the underside of the arm are the culprit.

No, I realize that. I'm a comic-book artist. Trust me, I've got a full working knowledge of human anatomy.

Look at the symmetry between the two shoulders. Why's his right shoulder so much broader than his left? Why's the right shoulder pad protruding out so far from his wrap, but the left one's completely concealed with arguably the same amount of cloth? If anything, the right one should be covered up more because of the effect of gravity and the orientation of his arm.

Sorry if I sound like an @$$. I'm just trying to help you become better via constructive criticism.

Sigs are for sissies.

No, I realize that. I'm a comic-book artist. Trust me, I've got a full working knowledge of human anatomy.

Look at the symmetry between the two shoulders. Why's his right shoulder so much broader than his left? Why's the right shoulder pad protruding out so far from his wrap, but the left one's completely concealed with arguably the same amount of cloth? If anything, the right one should be covered up more because of the effect of gravity and the orientation of his arm.

Sorry if I sound like an @$$. I'm just trying to help you become better via constructive criticism.

The bullfighter's left arm is extended behind him, with his elbow bent and thrust back. The rigid clothing moves less than the limber athlete's body, so the shoulder padding stays more-or-less in place, relatively speaking. There is some slight foreshortening as well. In fact, both arms are thrust back, so that their axes recede from the horizontal axis running across the figure's waist, instead of running parallel to it. There are eight axes used here, as the figure is quite articulated.

I used a posed anatomical model as reference and drew the body first, then hung the clothing on it. I could change a couple of lines on the bulky jacket and probably correct the slight visual confusion.

Bravo on the logo bravo. I have to agree with what both of you said, if you fix his right armpit area and lessen the bulge of his right tricep this logo wil llook much more clean and anatomically correct. The left arm looks fine in my opinion, except his left shoulder pad looks slightly bigger, and maybe having the elbow peek out behind the shoulder pad could help too. Overall, great work but with a few minor tweaks it could be that much better.

Bravo on the logo bravo. I have to agree with what both of you said, if you fix his right armpit area and lessen the bulge of his right tricep this logo wil llook much more clean and anatomically correct. The left arm looks fine in my opinion, except his left shoulder pad looks slightly bigger, and maybe having the elbow peek out behind the shoulder pad could help too. Overall, great work but with a few minor tweaks it could be that much better.

Thank you very much :) Very well said, and I agree.

The bullfighter's left arm is extended behind him, with his elbow bent and thrust back. The rigid clothing moves less than the limber athlete's body, so the shoulder padding stays more-or-less in place, relatively speaking. There is some slight foreshortening as well. In fact, both arms are thrust back, so that their axes recede from the horizontal axis running across the figure's waist, instead of running parallel to it. There are eight axes used here, as the figure is quite articulated.

I used a posed anatomical model as reference and drew the body first, then hung the clothing on it. I could change a couple of lines on the bulky jacket and probably correct the slight visual confusion.

That's the source of the confusion. to me, his right arm doesn't appear to be thrusting back. Looks more like it's extended to the side at the shoulder, hence the reference to the effect of gravity on the cloth.

I get what you're saying about the shoulder pads not really moving too much, and I took that into consideration when I first posted. It just seems like a really wide shoulder pad on the right.

Sigs are for sissies.

Archived