AFL's New York Dragons to be Sold

Charles Wang, owner of the NHL's New York Islanders, is selling the Arena Football League's New York Dragons to an investment group led by Long Island native Steve Silva. The transaction is expected to be finalized this month, pending the approval of the AFL's Board of Directors.

What's this say about his long-rumored Lighthouse project, now that he's shuttling off an anchor tenant?

Would you really consider an AFL team an anchor tenant? Teams get shuttled off and moved with what seems with regularity (and I don't think this team is moving if they were sold to LI investors) I don't profess to know what the happenings with the Lighthouse project are but I guess that this isn't going to be the thing that ends it. When he sells the Islanders then that will be end.

What's this say about his long-rumored Lighthouse project, now that he's shuttling off an anchor tenant?

The New York Islanders are set to be the "anchor tenant" in the renovated Coliseum that comprises a portion of The Lighthouse at Long Island development. The New York Dragons were never anything more than a way to fill dates.

As for the Dragons, given that their new ownership group is headed-up by a Long Island native, I don't see them having plans to leave the Coliseum.

Nassau County will still have a pair of professional sports franchises playing in their facility, with the Islanders maintaining their position as the primary tenant. Charles Wang will have more time, energy and money to focus on The Lighthouse project and the Islanders. The Dragons will have an owner who is focused on the AFL franchise as his only sports investment, rather than the team being a secondary priority after management of an NHL team.

Archived