Columbus Crew

Value: $23 million

Revenue: $6 million

Operating Income: - $4.5 million

Kansas City Wizards

Value: $22 million

Revenue: $5 million

Operating Income: - $2.9 million

The San Jose Earthquakes were excluded from the study because they were not part of Major League Soccer last season, so Forbes didn't have revenue and expense figures for the franchise.

Only three teams are turning a profit, not shocking.

Kansas City will be helped by their new stadium in 2010.

Kansas City should also get short term relief this year assuming rent is less then at arrowhead.

Real Salt Lake opens their stadium this October so that should help them

NYRB open their park next year and this should provide immediate relief.

Seattle should be 'profitable' out of the box

Only Columbus is losing 'big' money in a venue that they control. Not sure how many concerts they are staging this year but additional income nights should help.

Wow, I knew MLS wasn't exactly that popular around the country, but I didn't realize so many teams were operating at a loss. I would've expected NYRB to do better given its location, but I guess that could've also been a detriment.

i guarantee that DCU figure is off, only for the fact that VW has a big sponsorship deal with the team. but otherwise no surprises.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Wow, I knew MLS wasn't exactly that popular around the country, but I didn't realize so many teams were operating at a loss. I would've expected NYRB to do better given its location, but I guess that could've also been a detriment.

Red Bulls pay a massive game day rental to whatever entity operates Giants Stadium... United pays a sizeable rental for RFK, Houston pays a modest rental for Robertson. Take away the rental fees and these three just about break even or better. Columbus is 'losing' money most likely due to retirring construction costs on Crew stadium. If they had a naming rights deal in place they would most likely be profitable.

i guarantee that DCU figure is off, only for the fact that VW has a big sponsorship deal with the team. but otherwise no surprises.

Yes that is probably the case as these numbers would have been crunched prior to DCU signing the VW sponsorship.

Per Forbes, the DC United figure does take into account the VW sponsorship deal.

Bear in mind that the value of said deal is spread out over the duration of the contract. In the case of DC United, the 5-year, $14-million deal works out to $2.8-million per year. Further, while DCU keeps the majority of that figure, Major League Soccer does receive a percentage of the fee.

Per Forbes, the DC United figure does take into account the VW sponsorship deal.

Bear in mind that the value of said deal is spread out over the duration of the contract. In the case of DC United, the 5-year, $14-million deal works out to $2.8-million per year. Further, while DCU keeps the majority of that figure, Major League Soccer does receive a percentage of the fee.

Well that is what I get for not reading the actual article.....

Not suprising, yet still unfortunate...I am suprised that there are still teams that have not reach deals for jersey sponsorships to create a bit of cash flow. Currently, 5 teams do not have kit sponsors, which may not significantly affect their respective revenue, but still a point of interst.

Chicago - Best Buy

Chivas USA - Comex

Columbus - Glidden

DC United - VW

Houston - Amigo Energy

LA Galaxy - Herbalife

NYRB - Red Bull

RSL - Xango

Toronto - BMO

Seattle - Xbox 360 ('09)

Colorado

FC Dallas

Kansas City

New England

San Jose

Philly ('10)

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived